Is there something better than mixed bed DI resin? | BRStv Investigates

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with my 40ppm TDS source water here I'm fine with the dual mixed resin canisters, they last a LONG time as is. But this certainly has been educational!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think apex ready RO/DI system lol
Many people would opt for that, i would however like it to have dual or triple leads.

I could hook one up right where the wire runs into my reservoir now and i could run a line out to the garage to put between the filters the next time i pull lines (which could be a while).

What would be perfect is if the EC had wi fi capability.....and yes..id pay an extra $50 to $75 for it to be wi fi.....so i didnt have to pull cable every time i serviced it.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea common BRS!! We all want to know what the results would be

Since the real value of two-stage mixed beds is always having a full one in stage two, It might be more valuable to know the results on 25%, 50% and 75% depleted single cartridges.

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i see what you mean. the data is of value for both single and duel users. The amount of extra contact time and the fact that you guys are showing us measurements of silica are why I’m so curious to see the result of duel mix beds. Bed either way thanks for sharing the data!
Since the real value of two is always having a full one in stage two, it might be more valuable to know the results on 25%, 50% and 75% depleted single cartridges.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my anion resin and it looks like I'm seeing good things. It's just a start, but I am very hopeful...

Adsjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my 3 stage cation anion mixed bed di stages. At the moment I have 2 TDS meters set up but ordered a couple more but at the moment it reads after the membrane and after the cation. The strange thing is after the membrane my tds is 5 but then after the cation it’s raised to 8 tds. Is this down to the chemical process in the cation or is there an issue here? At the end of the system it is coming out at 0 tds. When I get my new inline reader I will be placing one after the anion and the mixed bed to see each stage so I know when it raises that it needs to be changed. Anything you see that is wrong at the with my setup?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my 3 stage cation anion mixed bed di stages. At the moment I have 2 TDS meters set up but ordered a couple more but at the moment it reads after the membrane and after the cation. The strange thing is after the membrane my tds is 5 but then after the cation it’s raised to 8 tds. Is this down to the chemical process in the cation or is there an issue here? At the end of the system it is coming out at 0 tds. When I get my new inline reader I will be placing one after the anion and the mixed bed to see each stage so I know when it raises that it needs to be changed. Anything you see that is wrong at the with my setup?

You are on the right path with the ion exchange process and what you're experiencing is normal. At its most basic, it's common to have free floating ions after the cation stage that register on the TDS meter (electrical conductivity).

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It will always be higher after the cation, often close to double. The cation exchanges positive ions for hydrogen (h+) and creates acids with strong electrical charges that the TDS meter reads as higher TDS. After the anoin exchanges for hydroxides (oh-) they create pure zero TDS water (h2o)

Adsjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clear up guys that does make a lot of sense. I had a feeling it was from watching your video but its always better to check I have done it properly :). new tds meter should be installed today and im backing the whole system up with a 4th stage mixed bed just to make sure im removing as much silicate as possible. thanks again.

Adsjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing that up guys. will have the new tds meter installed today to see each stage so can monitor the outputs from each stage. if I see an increase in 8 now would that be a sign that the resin is becoming exhausted? im going to back up the system with a 4th stage mixed bed just to make sure I can remove as much silica as possible. will you be doing a video on plastics at all? I installed a 75 litre water tank and not sure if it is leaching silica into my top off water. this is a link to what I got not sure if im allowed to show you but here it is https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/wate...-water-tanks/75-litre-water-tank-upright.html it sais its made for potable water which I assume means its drinking water safe so should not leach? can you shed some light if you have done any research at all?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing that up guys. will have the new tds meter installed today to see each stage so can monitor the outputs from each stage. if I see an increase in 8 now would that be a sign that the resin is becoming exhausted? im going to back up the system with a 4th stage mixed bed just to make sure I can remove as much silica as possible. will you be doing a video on plastics at all? I installed a 75 litre water tank and not sure if it is leaching silica into my top off water. this is a link to what I got not sure if im allowed to show you but here it is https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/wate...-water-tanks/75-litre-water-tank-upright.html it sais its made for potable water which I assume means its drinking water safe so should not leach? can you shed some light if you have done any research at all?

Drinking water safe deosn't mean it can't leach anything, but it isn't likely to be a substantial silicate source.

Is there a reason you are focused on silicate? I think many people might benefit from dosing it (as I did). :)

Adsjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of undesired diatoms etc basically brown stuff all over my rock and glass. triton test came back with over 700 ugl so would like to try and do something about it. its been 500 for over a year now and still struggling to eradicate it hence now using this RO config to try and stop it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of undesired diatoms etc basically brown stuff all over my rock and glass. triton test came back with over 700 ugl so would like to try and do something about it. its been 500 for over a year now and still struggling to eradicate it hence now using this RO config to try and stop it.

OIK, that's reasonable. Top off water is not the only source, but it can be a substantial one of the TDS rises above 0 ppm.

You do not use Siporax media, do you? Some report huge silica additions that they attribute to that material.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video I really enjoyed it!

My next thing is well water Co2 degasser.... deion dies very quick.

Ps- i posted on neptune forums years ago about an apex tds meter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back