Is there such thing as “tank regret”?

Jcascioli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a 32 gal biocube. Loved it but the restrictions of a smaller aio eventually led me to take a leap to a bigger tank. I had the mindset of getting the biggest tank I could afford to avoid me buying something a little bit bigger and then in another year I’d want to upgrade again. So I jumped from a biocube 32 to a Cade 1800 S2. After buying the tank I soon realized just how much I’d gotten myself into. 4 radions, monster skimmer, UV, fleece rollers, AWC station in my basement, 50 gal water storage tanks, the structural engineer I had to hire, etc etc.. for a good 4 months I was having panic attacks about how much $$ I was spending.. that was the biggest regret. I knew how involved this tank was gonna be bc I want an SPS dominant reef. I guess I never really put the plan I had on paper into dollars and cents. Now that it’s up and running and everything is going great, I’m really happy with my decision. But for a while I was literally scared about failing or not having the means to finish it the way I wanted.
5E13F925-57A8-4D8B-B436-EBBF031CBFD7.jpeg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a 32 gal biocube. Loved it but the restrictions of a smaller aio eventually led me to take a leap to a bigger tank. I had the mindset of getting the biggest tank I could afford to avoid me buying something a little bit bigger and then in another year I’d want to upgrade again. So I jumped from a biocube 32 to a Cade 1800 S2. After buying the tank I soon realized just how much I’d gotten myself into. 4 radions, monster skimmer, UV, fleece rollers, AWC station in my basement, 50 gal water storage tanks, the structural engineer I had to hire, etc etc.. for a good 4 months I was having panic attacks about how much $$ I was spending.. that was the biggest regret. I knew how involved this tank was gonna be bc I want an SPS dominant reef. I guess I never really put the plan I had on paper into dollars and cents. Now that it’s up and running and everything is going great, I’m really happy with my decision. But for a while I was literally scared about failing or not having the means to finish it the way I wanted.
5E13F925-57A8-4D8B-B436-EBBF031CBFD7.jpeg
Nice tank now you need to spend and equal amount on livestock

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say tank regret per say but I regret changing my plan for the tank consistently. I started with the idea for a fowlr made my aquascape around the idea. Then it was fish and softies, then maybe a little LPS. I'm now on my sixth month and 25th frag mainly LPs with some easy sps softies and just added my 3rd fish a ruby dragonet!! Yay. My how the plans change....

huejahsole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my AIO Biocube but I’m wishing I started off larger. I love the whole AIO type of tank setup. Of course it’s too late to get a new tank now with how much I invested in my 32g. Just curious if this is normal. Under no circumstance am I interested in managing two tanks; getting a second tank is out of the question. I’m starting to wish I started with at least a 75 gallon.
That’s why I didn’t listen to my wife and got the biggest rimless tank I could find from waterbox reef lx 320.7. Never have to worry about upgrading.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it a regret but I do with I would have change the overflow design of my 300DD. Right now it's set up like a peninsula (though I don't run it as one). This works well because the overflow can go through the wall into my utility room. The thing I don't like is that it's a more traditional overflow box that drops through the bottom of the tank. I should have sealed those holes and drilled the side of the tank to install a ghost-style. It would have given me a lot more options with respect to sump and where/how the drains pass through the wall. Oh well. If I ever tear down the tank, I'm either going to make the change at that time or just build a bigger plywood tank and dismantle this one (because there is no way in HELL-O that I'm getting it back up my stairs in one piece!).

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say tank regret per say but I regret changing my plan for the tank consistently. I started with the idea for a fowlr made my aquascape around the idea. Then it was fish and softies, then maybe a little LPS. I'm now on my sixth month and 25th frag mainly LPs with some easy sps softies and just added my 3rd fish a ruby dragonet!! Yay. My how the plans change....
Sounds like you’re having fun to me!

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my AIO Biocube but I’m wishing I started off larger. I love the whole AIO type of tank setup. Of course it’s too late to get a new tank now with how much I invested in my 32g. Just curious if this is normal. Under no circumstance am I interested in managing two tanks; getting a second tank is out of the question. I’m starting to wish I started with at least a 75 gallon.
I regret drilling holes too low for my overflow box now my water line is 2 inches lower than my liking

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret that one of my previous reef tanks leaked through the ceiling lol. That was one of the best tanks I had done.

But in all seriousness, I love my tank now but I do wish I went with a sump. Just wasn’t realistic at the time

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the real question is anti perfectly happy with their tank?

I do think a smaller 40-70 gal tank is a good place to start. Almost guaranteed that your first system will be not how you like it and you will want to change some stuff around in a couple years, incorporate lessons learned, spring for that corner overflow etc.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realizing salt companies are about to jack up the prices...
Why? Is a hacker holding the worlds salt reserves hostage until they receive a very expensive fish or something? Lol!!! Seriously though, what did I miss?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I perform weekly maintenance on four sub-60G tanks, I always ask myself why I didnt just get one or two larger tanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, yeah that’s a ton of work

It's really not too bad, or maybe I'm just used to it now. But one is a 10G AIO so that barely counts. The IM25 AIO is pretty quick too. Still, it's a process.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Is a hacker holding the worlds salt reserves hostage until they receive a very expensive fish or something? Lol!!! Seriously though, what did I miss?
A couple of bigger salt manufacturers have made releases stating that the cost of salt will be going up by almost 1/3 of current price. Many LFS are fighting back. And the rumour is this is all thanks to “covid inflation”. Example, bucket of instant ocean 5gal pale size (160 gallon of salt mix) is going up by approximately $30.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen much news of this on Reef2reef.... although a lot of local reefers or now spreading the word.

It sucks....and seems like a cash grabbing scam.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back