Is there such thing as a non reef safe coral?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not technically a coral, but hadonni carpet anemones. Very likely to eat fish.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any coral that is extremely invasive is non reef safe in my opinion. Blue clove polyps certainly come to mind. ;) Fire coral is another I'd avoid. Lol

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every coral is non reef safe to the surrounding corals ( and other aquarium life) to some degree. I have a purple stylo currently stinging my yellow Porite it is now touching. A ricordia is presently encroaching and burning one of my encrusting montipora. I have acropora and plating montis shading out corals below and making them regress. I have had different species of montipora try to burn each other when they touch. I have seen lobos send out digestive filaments at night that destroy its neighbors.I Even had green star polyps spawn which caused many snails to fall off the rocks and try to die until I siphoned out green star polyp eggs and ran fresh carbon. Everything is competing for space and sunlight. Some sting, others send out toxins, and yet others just quickly outgrow everything.

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say Xenia and some types of paly’s Xenia just grow like wild fire and when removing even the smallest speck left on the rock will grow right back, and certain types of palys will do the same thing with the addition of palytoxins that are poisonous when removing they can have a fatal effect to both you and your tank inhabitants the problem with both of these corals is there sold so often as beginners corals for there hardiness and you end up with them for the life of your tank

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any coral that is extremely invasive is non reef safe in my opinion. Blue clove polyps certainly come to mind. ;) Fire coral is another I'd avoid. Lol
The funny thing about Fire coral is that it seems to be one of the most resistant corals to global water temperature rises and pollutants. When I go diving it is always thriving even when all the other corals have declined.
The sting is very painful, not a coral that anyone would want in a tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back