Is this a ‘Pod’?

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, while moving my corals around, due to my unruly anemones, I found a couple of these guys. They were hiding right in my corals, sort of in some algae that had formed around the base. I saw a photo of something that looked like him on the ‘Hitchhiker ID - What is that?’ post from Crabs McJones, but I can’t tell for sure from my photo because it isn’t very good. I remember that he looked like a little shrimp, but sort of squirmed like a little worm. He was ~3mm. The source of this hitchhiker is unknown as my tank is relatively new. I have been acquiring new corals for the past 3 months or so from my LFS. Thanks! JL

C23C2865-0510-4204-BD68-39792A1D51AC.png

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. This is the photo Crabs McJones put on the Hitchhiker post. Is it the same thing? Where do these guys come from typically?

C68CD0D1-3B30-41FF-BB6E-BCFE961C78D5.jpeg
Yep, that’s the one. They probably hitchhiked on your corals.

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s the one. They probably hitchhiked on your corals.
Sorry to be so naive...there are 9,900+ different types of these little invertebrates. Almost everyone in the ocean eats them including my clownfish and not surprising that I found him in the algae because oftentimes they eat diatoms and that is exactly where I found him. So obvious! Thanks so much!

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another quick question. Can my tank become overrun with these guys? Can they become a pest?
Usually no, if you overfeed they will multiply, but that will harm your system as well (overfeeding), the population inside your system depend on the leftover food and the detritus (and few other food they eat)

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually no, if you overfeed they will multiply, but that will harm your system as well (overfeeding), the population inside your system depend on the leftover food and the detritus (and few other food they eat)
I worry about this because my two clownfish are blind and super hard to feed. I have to turn the pumps off and leave the food on the bare bottom. They don’t eat shrimp or krill or anything anymore other than those nasty pellets. I get good ones, but it really bumps up my Nitrates and no matter where I put them or how carefully I put them on the floor, they always get swirled around and everyone in the tank gets fed too much. I’ve thought about moving them into another tank, but my husband “won’t let me” have another fish tank because that would make five aquariums. Five aquariums is too many! The little guys have seemed to live forever. Going on five years now and no death in sight. I really don’t want anything to happen to them, I wish they were like normal fish and swam around and didn’t bump into stuff...boink!

ED342675-9028-4D05-8FC6-36CC83A2AA59.jpeg F48B927C-758E-4475-BBFF-CD65D17A709E.jpeg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about this because my two clownfish are blind and super hard to feed. I have to turn the pumps off and leave the food on the bare bottom. They don’t eat shrimp or krill or anything anymore other than those nasty pellets. I get good ones, but it really bumps up my Nitrates and no matter where I put them or how carefully I put them on the floor, they always get swirled around and everyone in the tank gets fed too much. I’ve thought about moving them into another tank, but my husband “won’t let me” have another fish tank because that would make five aquariums. Five aquariums is too many! The little guys have seemed to live forever. Going on five years now and no death in sight. I really don’t want anything to happen to them, I wish they were like normal fish and swam around and didn’t bump into stuff...boink!

ED342675-9028-4D05-8FC6-36CC83A2AA59.jpeg F48B927C-758E-4475-BBFF-CD65D17A709E.jpeg
sorry for the clownfish (1st time I hear about blind clowns but probably they are picasso clowns which can make sense then), some of them can survive in the tank for over 9 years :)
Don't know what to say about better way feeding them. But I think if you get sieve and you make it to stay higher over the bottom and you put the food in, you can teach them to feed from it (if it's shallow) and that way you will be able to take the leftover food out of the water, and the amphipods aren't going up (free swimming) to there to pick up food) I was feeding damaged shrimp that way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back