Is this a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse? Possibly a juvenile?

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently purchased what was labeled as a male and female pair of carpenter's flasher wrasses (a pair for only $50!). The female looks like one, but the male doesn't seem to have as much color as other carpenter's flasher wrasses I have seen. I am thinking it could be a juvenile and is possibly still developing its colors, but I'm worried it could be a different fish altogether. I still purchased it because I assumed it was just a Juvenile still developing colors, but I haven't been able to find many pictures of juveniles online.

Can anyone with experience with Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses please tell me if A) It is a carpenter's wrasse and B) If you think it's colors will improve with time?

Thank you!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed a P. carpenteri. I would need to see the fins in order to determine sex, but I can say it does not at all appear to be a terminal male. Which makes it either sub-male or female, but I'd need to see the fins to make that call.

Regardless, it doesn't matter much if you have a pair. One of them will transition to terminal male in time, meaning you'll get those bright colors you're after.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed a P. carpenteri. I would need to see the fins in order to determine sex, but I can say it does not at all appear to be a terminal male. Which makes it either sub-male or female, but I'd need to see the fins to make that call.

Regardless, it doesn't matter much if you have a pair. One of them will transition to terminal male in time, meaning you'll get those bright colors you're after.

That's great. Glad you were able to see the picture and identify it. Thank you for your time, that's the answer I was looking for!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back