Is this a colonial hydroid?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this in my tank late last night (disappeared again in the morning), and I'm not sure what it is! Thanks very much :)

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever it is it looks pretty cool :) I have something similar that looks like a palm tree / fan worm thing that is also transparent, and i have no idea what that is either. But mine is stuck to the rock. Did your come with live rock?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this in my tank late last night (disappeared again in the morning), and I'm not sure what it is! Thanks very much :)

It looks like it’s casting a web to catch particles. Possibly a sea cucumber, but hard to tell when it’s so tiny.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever it is it looks pretty cool :) I have something similar that looks like a palm tree / fan worm thing that is also transparent, and i have no idea what that is either. But mine is stuck to the rock. Did your come with live rock?
I didn't get any fancy live rock - just one wet piece from my LFS, and then last week I added some extra shells for the hermits from an online fish seller which were shipped damp, so maybe could've brought life.

It looks like it’s casting a web to catch particles. Possibly a sea cucumber, but hard to tell when it’s so tiny.
Very cool! Thanks :) I'll keep an eye to see if it comes back; would a sea cucumber be nocturnal?

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like sea cucumber/ sea apple! Not nocturnal, but they need established tanks with high nutrients
That's a shame, my tank is pretty new (started October) so it probably won't last :( Would trying to target feed with phytoplankton or oyster eggs be beneficial, if it reappears?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it belongs to the genus Pseudocolochirus— while they can eat during the day, turns out the majority of them feed at night! Keep an eye on clean up crew, cause hermits have been known to pick at them

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it belongs to the genus Pseudocolochirus— while they can eat during the day, turns out the majority of them feed at night! Keep an eye on clean up crew, cause hermits have been known to pick at them
The only other critters in there right now are 4 hermits, unfortunately... Thanks so much for the help, I'll do some reading about them!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back