Don't make the mods weigh in here. :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they aren't.
In europe we never had an import ban on life rock and got these all the time as hichhikers. They really are jellyfish. Crown jellyfish to be specific.

Nausithoe sp.
Okey dokey.
Couldn't possibly be two different creatures that have a similar appearance...

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey dokey.
Couldn't possibly be two different creatures that have a similar appearance...
Which one do you mean? I can't really see much on OPs pic except a lot of blue but the pictures of @duberii are definitely jellyfish. The givaway is the chitin tube and dense green tentacles (under blue light). Hydroids have a different apperance.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I thought that is what a hydroid is?
Well hydroids are related to jellyfish but from a different taxonomy (they are also related to corals btw). There are hydrozoa that can also release swimmers, but these are usually missing that typical jellyfish behaviour.

Btw i have both in my tank. Hydroids and sessile jellyfish. Both seem to behave for now but i do have an eye in the hydroids.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you mean? I can't really see much on OPs pic except a lot of blue but the pictures of @duberii are definitely jellyfish. The givaway is the chitin tube and dense green tentacles (under blue light). Hydroids have a different apperance.
Duberii hasn't contributed to this thread so I have no idea what you're talking about.

And you specifically said, "everyone here is indentifying [sic] them wrong all the time" which is patently false.

Yes, we are talking about the original poster's question... Why would you assume otherwise?

Finally, a few of us do actually have a bit of knowledge about the "different taxonomies" of marine life and have experience in our own tanks with the species we are identifying.

But thanks for the condescension.

@KrisReef , was that good enough for you? ;)

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duberii hasn't contributed to this thread so I have no idea what you're talking about.

And you specifically said, "everyone here is indentifying [sic] them wrong all the time" which is patently false.

Yes, we are talking about the original poster's question... Why would you assume otherwise?

Finally, a few of us do actually have a bit of knowledge about the "different taxonomies" of marine life and have experience in our own tanks with the species we are identifying.

But thanks for the condescension.

@KrisReef , was that good enough for you? ;)

Duberiis post was quoted by @WheatToast which provided pics of wrong identified hydroids. I replied to OP when he said "these look identical" that the animals in the provided pics aren't hydroids.
reef2reef quote option doesn't really offer many options here so what was i supposed to do? I didn't see a quote option for the pictures. Actually i am curious. Is there another option?

"A few of us do actually have a bit of knowledge"
I never implied the opposite, just that sessile jellyfish are always identified wrong here. Which is a shame because that means a lot of these interesting animals were probably culled because hydroids are seen as a pest.

Some interesting footage

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taxonomic discussions aside, this is the colony of whatever I have. It looks a lot like op's thing.

Whatever it is it's not parazoanthus. The "polyps" are way too small, they are able to cross water(seemingly, but i have only seen it happen once in over a year since i saw rhe original colony), and they react instantly to things like feather dusters do. Those pink zoas seem to grow right through it although the zoa polyps stay partially closed until they grow above the mystery polyps. The pink zoas actually were on a frag plug next to this rock but spread onto the rock despite the mystery polyps being established all over it. This suggests they do sting, but not enough to win the battle for space. I suspect any coral with a strong sting would just roll right through them.

Attachments

• 20221130_125446_1_1-[onlinevideoconverter.com].mp4
    1.1 MB

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back