Is this a detrimental issue?

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my scape laid out how I want it, fish and fat and healthy and have all found hiding spots in the rocks they like (orchid dottyback and 6 line) except the clown....he just owns whatever he wants. So while doing my nightly inspection, i noticed what looked like a piece of algae or macro of the sorts. Once looking at it a bit more I noticed little translucent balls shaped areas and figured it was a hydroid. It retracted back into the rock. So I just removed said rock to sump until I figure it out and rid myself of the abomination. It actually looked like a small tree, anyways any input on riding myself of them of whether or not it’s a issue would be awesome. If not, it’s been nice to vent. Thank you all and happy reefing

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my scape laid out how I want it, fish and fat and healthy and have all found hiding spots in the rocks they like (orchid dottyback and 6 line) except the clown....he just owns whatever he wants. So while doing my nightly inspection, i noticed what looked like a piece of algae or macro of the sorts. Once looking at it a bit more I noticed little translucent balls shaped areas and figured it was a hydroid. It retracted back into the rock. So I just removed said rock to sump until I figure it out and rid myself of the abomination. It actually looked like a small tree, anyways any input on riding myself of them of whether or not it’s a issue would be awesome. If not, it’s been nice to vent. Thank you all and happy reefing

Can you get a picture of it?

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried and it was not happening, this was all I could get.

65B0FA9B-45C2-4B7F-B796-ADAB005D8A6A.jpeg DD6A2227-A246-40F3-AB2A-BA7F6BD64764.jpeg

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep branching hydroids. Thanks for that article. Well I didn’t see any more but I’ll keep an eye out just In case. I might get that rock out of where I have it and start exploring to see if I can find them and scrape them off or get them out of there some how.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back