Is this a Flatworm?

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an infestation of 1/2” wormlike critters that are the color of detritus. I was told they were flatworms and am currently treating my hospital tank with “flatworm exit”. No luck. They don’t seem to be dying but it’s hard to tell since they are not very active in the first place.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

8FAEB1DB-8026-4AA4-AE25-83D0DF5BF259.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a big infestation. Here’s what I siphoned off prior to treatment.

707616F0-79BB-460B-A0FB-1C0CEA14A93F.jpeg

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to tell from the picture but my guess is an Elysia Nudibranch, especially since FW Exit didn't bother them. A more focused picture and some pros will be able to give their opinion. I'm just some guy with a guess :)

Craigdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a nudibranch to, do you have any corals that are sulking or looking unhealthy.

Where did you gather all them from

OP
OP
J

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where they came from, but I did finally take a sample to the LFS. They believe they were sea hares and wanted to buy them. For now, I'm going to leave the ones that are left and see what happens. They don't seem to bother anything. If they grow up to become something cool, I'll repost an update.

Ligeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely nudibranchs! I know there are some species of wrasses (fourline, sixline, possum) that do eat them!

OP
OP
J

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation! the online pictures are much prettier than these little guys. Once they grow up, I'll share the pictures.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an infestation of 1/2” wormlike critters that are the color of detritus. I was told they were flatworms and am currently treating my hospital tank with “flatworm exit”. No luck. They don’t seem to be dying but it’s hard to tell since they are not very active in the first place.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

8FAEB1DB-8026-4AA4-AE25-83D0DF5BF259.jpeg
What you have is a sea hare ... I had some in my tank and are harmless. They eat algae

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where they came from, but I did finally take a sample to the LFS. They believe they were sea hares and wanted to buy them. For now, I'm going to leave the ones that are left and see what happens. They don't seem to bother anything. If they grow up to become something cool, I'll repost an update.
KJ and dancingmad were right. They’re caulerpa eating sea slugs. They basically look like nudibranchs. But these guys eat caulerpa (a type of macro algae).

Back