Is this a Ghost Flatworm?

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was nearly impossible to take a picture of with my phone so apologies in advance. As title says, did I get this ID right? What's the current thought - keep for diversity or get rid of before it becomes my next headache?

PXL_20221127_202929007.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was nearly impossible to take a picture of with my phone so apologies in advance. As title says, did I get this ID right? What's the current thought - keep for diversity or get rid of before it becomes my next headache?

PXL_20221127_202929007.jpg
Not knowing what it is the general rule is sump or dump …
Knowing flatworms are for the most part not welcome . I’d remove it but keeping in mind there is one . There is most likely many more

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing what it is the general rule is sump or dump …
Knowing flatworms are for the most part not welcome . I’d remove it but keeping in mind there is one . There is most likely many more

You weren't wrong. No crazy infestation but now that I've noticed one, I've removed a few more. Here is a pic of the latest one. It doesn't have a triple tail so likely not red planaria. Photo taken in a white cup after removed from the tank. Numbers appear small so likely won't cause toxic warfare. Flatworm eXit?

1669751916087.png

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You weren't wrong. No crazy infestation but now that I've noticed one, I've removed a few more. Here is a pic of the latest one. It doesn't have a triple tail so likely not red planaria. Photo taken in a white cup after removed from the tank. Numbers appear small so likely won't cause toxic warfare. Flatworm eXit?

1669751916087.png
I try to stay away from chemical removal for any pest .
that’s when if there are more they all die and can release toxins .
Try natural predators and manually removing them through a small hose or airline .

is it like a rusty red colour ?

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more green, brown? These are in a 40B (Aqueon with Tenecor AIO) which currently only has 2 mocha clowns in it. I'm planning on a midas blenny, long nosed hawkfish, and royal gramma. Thought on natural predators? Blue Damsel? 6 Line Wrasse? Concerned about aggression from both.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

1669751916087.png
Planaria Flatworm. These are of the more destructive types and Best eradication would be to siphon with a 3/8" tubing if you see any more into a nylon stocking or similar and discard. If in numbers- certain wrasse will eat them such as yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or melanurus.
Even a springieri damsel will eat them.
Make chemical treatment the last recourse as it will also cause toxins from the worms to leech into the tank

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planaria Flatworm. These are of the more destructive types and Best eradication would be to siphon with a 3/8" tubing if you see any more into a nylon stocking or similar and discard. If in numbers- certain wrasse will eat them such as yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or melanurus.
Even a springieri damsel will eat them.
Make chemical treatment the last recourse as it will also cause toxins from the worms to leech into the tank

Ok thanks for this. I am thinking based on my 40 gal tank size I'll be limited to the Springieri Damsel or 6 Line Wrasse. Based on quick search, the 6 line will be more likely to take out the flat worms and a toss up between the two on bullying the other fish I have planned for the tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more green, brown? These are in a 40B (Aqueon with Tenecor AIO) which currently only has 2 mocha clowns in it. I'm planning on a midas blenny, long nosed hawkfish, and royal gramma. Thought on natural predators? Blue Damsel? 6 Line Wrasse? Concerned about aggression from both.
Natural predator … I went with every single
Fish that would eat them but my situation was terrible . I had them very bad . Infested .
Fish that are said to eat them
Springerii damsel
Green spotted mandarin
Six line wrasse
Mel. Wrasse
Yellow wrasse

when those weren’t working fast enough for my liking I bought 3 blue velvet nudibranch .
But with a nudi they have specific diets . Each species targets and only eats one thing …. and will starve without their one food

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springerii damsels are not the typical a hole Damsels .
actually my 2 are great with everything else .
Sixline wrasse I’ve never had any luck with .
they hide for ever. And actually believe my yellow flanked fairy wrasse or Mel wrasse didn’t want to put up with the Sixline anymore . Or the 2 clownfish ( Dracula and fang ) disapproved of its existence in their ocean .

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springerii damsels are not the typical a hole Damsels .
actually my 2 are great with everything else .
Sixline wrasse I’ve never had any luck with .
they hide for ever. And actually believe my yellow flanked fairy wrasse or Mel wrasse didn’t want to put up with the Sixline anymore . Or the 2 clownfish ( Dracula and fang ) disapproved of its existence in their ocean .

Good to know. I'm leaning towards the Damsel, just need to see if LFS has one in stock that I can start QT when I get back from vacation next week. I did a white light inspection of the rockwork and pulled out about a half dozen. I don't have a sump so just used a dosing syringe which was really effective. Hopefully I knocked back their numbers enough that I don't come back to an infestation. I'll keep doing this every few days until I can get the Damsel in. I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back