Is this a good way to quickly cycle a tank?

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’m starting a frag tank basically just for mushrooms and I’m pretty sure this will work, but I just wanted to make sure. My plan is to buy in a bunch of live rubble rock at the bottom below the egg rate that will serve as a frag rack, but no sand. I’ll also have some filter media (like bio gems and filter floss in the back- it’s an AIO). I’ll also be using water from my main tank to start. Will this instantly be a suitable habitat or will I still have to wait? TIA for any feedback

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depends on the maturity of the rock and how much. Using water from an established system will do absolutely nothing for the cycle. I would use fresh saltwater. A bottle of Fritz Turbo start wouldn't hurt either along with ceramic media in the back chamber, a lot of it.

Upvote 0

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the filter media with new in the main tank and move it to the frag tank. Clean water, and anything else with surface area, rocks and rubble and such from my establish system that I can move, or replace. Bottle of bacteria for good measure, and some clean up crew and food to feed the cycle.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corrections to reef water not containing bacteria, it contains millions of cells at all times: the tank water will cycle the tank in under 20 days it has millions of transmissible cycling bacteria. the place you saw on video that says it doesn’t is a video from a lineage of bottle bac sales, we click buy if we perceive a deficit

and then any place we read about reef water not having bacteria to share came off web posts where they just make things up and pass it on to friends, I have links where we cycle complete dry reefs in under a month using only reef water from a ready tank, no bottle bac no additional feed. water only, and contact time.

the reason 100% of reef tank's water has helpful, significant degrees of cycling bac is because of the water shear we all create and the sloughs that come off all day long that you can see clearly on a microscope when you scan anyone's reef water.

riding on those rafts are: cycling bac, by the millions.

The approach the op listed will skip cycle 100%. so it was 20 days ago/how'd it turn out?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Corrections to reef water not containing bacteria, it contains millions of cells at all times: the tank water will cycle the tank in under 20 days it has millions of transmissible cycling bacteria. the place you saw on video that says it doesnt have transmissible bac is from a video from a bottle bac salesman, and then any place you read about reef water not having bacteria to share came off web posts where they just make things up.

the reason 100% of reef tank's water has helpful, significant degrees of cycling bac is because of the water shear we all create and the sloughs that come off all day long that you can see clearly on a microscope when you scan anyone's reef water.

riding on those rafts are: cycling bac, by the millions.

The approach the op listed will skip cycle 100%. so it was 20 days ago/how'd
Wonder why they don't sell "tank cycling water, just add and cycle done!"

Because water column bacteria and concrete bacteria are different. Water column WILL NOT cycle a tank.

But don't tell any of the major bacteria makers, they might contact Brandon for another 2 pages of posting to himself advice.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do u want to see the thread example

that link needs to be given to the macna video that specifically says reef water doesn't have cycling bac. it for sure 100% does.

I make the case here that bottle bac salespersons are no longer allowed to make the cycling rules, because they always lead to a purchase, every. single. time.

also along these lines of rules they made up: try and link one example from any place on the internet where a bottle bac cycle failed, and the initial animals died. Try and search one, post it from 2008 or any other year, just one example lets see how recent it is and we can look for maybe one more to prove a pattern, that the first guy didn't just fail to acclimate or poison his tank in some way.

So we read (from bottle bac salespersons/key repeating detail) that cycles can fail or stall. On that continuum, a stall will kill new animals, so let's see one or two examples.

They dont exist, because cycles don't stall. we have been given training that always leads to a retail purchase. there are no failed cycles I've ever seen other than common as day api .25 ones. there are zero stalled bottle bac cycles on seneye for display tank reefs

post em if we can find one or two Ill update a thread we were looking for such examples.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do u want to see another one, or is that one enough

link your source for claims that reef water has zero helpful cycling bac, let's see where it came from

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, as was said, the OP's plan is fool proof. there aren't any stalled cycles we can find anyway, and he was adding both surface area and actual cycling bacteria from two different sources. easy skip cycle.

also Hurricane, link your one or two failed cycle proofs lets see any fail you've ever seen in reefing.

don't skip or gloss over that request, its important to see the consequence you're alluding to.

Upvote 0

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
do u want to see the thread example

that link needs to be given to the macna video that specifically says reef water doesn't have cycling bac. it for sure 100% does.

I make the case here that bottle bac salespersons are no longer allowed to make the cycling rules, because they always lead to a purchase, every. single. time.

also along these lines of rules they made up: try and link one example from any place on the internet where a bottle bac cycle failed, and the initial animals died. Try and search one, post it from 2008 or any other year, just one example lets see how recent it is and we can look for maybe one more to prove a pattern, that the first guy didn't just fail to acclimate or poison his tank in some way.

So we read (from bottle bac salespersons/key repeating detail) that cycles can fail or stall. On that continuum, a stall will kill new animals, so let's see one or two examples.

They dont exist, because cycles don't stall. we have been given training that always leads to a retail purchase. there are no failed cycles I've ever seen other than common as day api .25 ones. there are zero stalled bottle bac cycles on seneye for display tank reefs

post em if we can find one or two Ill update a thread we were looking for such examples.
I wasn't even going to bother because common sense and you don't belong in the same sentence.

So let me get this straight, someone connected a large established system to a new system that had uncycled rock and new sand, etc?

You honestly think that is like having two separate systems, one established and one brand new, and adding used water to new tank for cycling? NOT!

The guy connected an established system to a new system. The established system SEEDED the new system and continued to do so because they are ONE SYSTEM essentially.

Good lord, please don't respond.........

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you won't be posting any direct examples requested of you, and you wont validate a work thread we put weeks of effort into. thats new, I've never seen that mode before in online disagreements.

The reason the discussion is important is so that groupthinkers don't train new reefers to always, always, always, always doubt and buy water bacteria in water.

in considering updated cycling rules we gain the ability to do reef moves well beyond this request, such as relocate tanks without loss, or run upgrades all day long for six years without loss etc. (and without bottle bac)

or make skip cycle setups, or move huge reefs to conventions and back without losing a hundred grand in bounce shrooms, or cycle huge setups by merely connecting one dry reef to share water with an active reef.

asking angry skeptics for proof of failed cycles is the best way because they really want to burn the person who doubted.

If we can find just one example, even where they may not have acclimated correctly, I'd consider adding that to our search thread for failed cycles. can you literally find anything clickable, even if a stretch, for a failed cycle?

if not don't feel bad, neither can I

have been searching for two/pattern for years. that's how I stumbled upon the fact that bottle bac sellers were making very very beneficial rules for cycling and then online peers do the major sales footwork, without fact checking any of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So you're not going to deny what I said? You put weeks of effort into something I told you in 30 seconds ROFL....my lord.....that says it all about what you know.

I'm not the one on here bashing bottled bacteria and posting PAGES of incoherent nonsense.

Post your education on these subjects. Marine Biology degree? You always post "We've been trained" yea? Who trained you and why don't you have a large established business like ones we see on Reef2Reef?

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will list that along with my employment, which you'll be able to pick incessantly at, if you merely post one or two examples of a failed bottle bac cycle.

but if you can't gimme those links, then we're left with your same standard of input as the last time we crossed paths on cycles.

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never could understand how after posting a link that directly shows what I’d summarized on my opening post we continue to debate the mechanism; having no links seems more suspicious for claims.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaki

that's where your plan analysis came from/ we've been managing skip cycles a while now there/collecting examples.

the only difference between you and them is they were using pounds of live rock/ surface area well beyond their needs, and yours will be only rubble vs stacks of pre cycled rocks.

it may interest you to know, your tank will still carry the same degree of fish theirs carries

Spread out rubble has the same collective water contact abilities as a stack of live rocks, its a dimension trick on the eye but you still aren't lacking surface area nor contact placement.

I bet we did all this battle and the op didnt even set up the tank lol

if you did Gaki we'd like to see those pics. now u have a roadmap to plan if you ever do want to implement that plan.

also, if your cable goes out in your house, I can help ;) lol

whats more important than what I do for 8 hours a day is having links that directly apply to given reef tank jobs so that reasonable outcome prediction can be had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have real live rock that has surface and anoxic bacteria on/in it and is also mostly phosphate free, then this could work, but you are working a balancing act - established rock rubble. That rock came from a system where the bacteria populations were in equilibrium and now are going to be in an environment where they are not at first. They can pretty quickly multiply and adapt, but this is where the balancing act comes in... you need to not add too much food so that ammonia does not not rise, but you need some so that the corals can get some nitrogen - your mushrooms will need to get nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium and not feeding fish or some inverts to produce it will slow some growth. ...so some food, but certainly not too much. In the end, your plan will speed things up, but I would not consider it instant... but also mushrooms are quite hardy and might not care at all. You can also always change water out of your other tank into this one if you need to... and/or move the mushrooms to the other tank in an emergency. The risk is low if you are smart, IMO, but there still is some.

On this place, be careful who you listen to. There are many who have actual experience in a wide breath and depth of the hobby and can demonstrate. There are others who reef on the backs of others, post links and think that a small experience can scale to other places when it often does not. Choose well.

Upvote 0

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't even going to bother because common sense and you don't belong in the same sentence.

So let me get this straight, someone connected a large established system to a new system that had uncycled rock and new sand, etc?

You honestly think that is like having two separate systems, one established and one brand new, and adding used water to new tank for cycling? NOT!

The guy connected an established system to a new system. The established system SEEDED the new system and continued to do so because they are ONE SYSTEM essentially.

Good lord, please don't respond.........
My R2R life is so much more peaceful after I blocked him a while back. Peddling nonsense is one thing, but to do it with so much arrogance and hostility is just beyond tolerable. (Disclaimer- as he is blocked I have not seen anything posted here, I just know his MO). I personally think he may be struggling with autism spectrum or bipolar, so keep that in mind when arguing or putting on blast. Better to just ignore and move on.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back