Is this a half eaten starfish of somekind?

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200706-143855_Gallery.jpg

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina starfish. VERY common in new tanks. They multiply quickly (in the 100's) and I'm sure you'll get varying opinions on letting them propagate or removing them.

Generally harmless, some people remove them as a pest as they have been known to eat some coral on occasion, although personally I've never experienced this and leave mine alone.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal hitchhiker.. The population is directly related to leftover waste and nutrients. If you monitor your waste and detritus they are a very welcomed addition to your CUC!!

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Only one I can see...for now...I know a Harlequin Shrimp feeds on these but what else would? It defo does not look like a whole one? Lol I only have 2 clowns a firefish a pygmy goby and coral. Oh and cuc...

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they grow in random leg patterns and lengths unlike many other stars. Keep an eye out for brittle stars, too! they're great and often come in on living rock. You'd more than likely just see their long, slender spiked legs sticking out of holes which might look more wormlike at first.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few and like you assumed they had been half eaten, but its how they reproduce. They can break off an arm or two to clone by fission.

They'll take over - humans are doomed.

Oh great so basically you are saying there is now a minumum of 5/6 others!? :rolleyes::D

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will remove asterina's as they can multiply out of control as well as develop a taste for zoas. They aren't typically recommended CUC for this reason.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasnt aware they would feed on coraline. Will be getting removed next time I spot it. Cheers.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing. They don't, until they do. And these aren't like an angel fish you can easily remove when you see it nipping at your coral. By the time you realize you may have a problem, those 20 cool looking asterina's are now 60 strong and are in every nook and cranny throughout your tank.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing. They don't, until they do. And these aren't like an angel fish you can easily remove when you see it nipping at your coral. By the time you realize you may have a problem, those 20 cool looking asterina's are now 60 strong and are in every nook and cranny throughout your tank.

Ive got enough on my plate just now with Vermetid snails lol

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are cool looking too. But Id imagine getting rid of them manually would be mission impossible as they're small enough to fit into very small crevices in rock.

Isn't a way to get rid of them those awesome Harlequin shrimps? I am not positive as i'm new to marine so there may be better methods, but I remember the guy at my local fish shop saying that they rent these shrimp out (with a deposit in case it dies) to clear mini starfish infections, but you then need to give them back once they've done the job otherwise they'll starve:
harlequin.jpg

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are cool looking too. But Id imagine getting rid of them manually would be mission impossible as they're small enough to fit into very small crevices in rock.

Isn't a way to get rid of them those awesome Harlequin shrimps? I am not positive as i'm new to marine so there may be better methods, but I remember the guy at my local fish shop saying that they rent these shrimp out (with a deposit in case it dies) to clear mini starfish infections, but you then need to give them back once they've done the job otherwise they'll starve:
harlequin.jpg

Yup they eat them. But also any other star fish and I have a sand sifter so...not an option unfort. They are cool though Id love to have one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back