Is this a mantis shrimp?!

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some live rock for a few months now, and I just noticed right now that a mantis looking little shrimp eyes were popping out of a little crevice. I can’t really see any color since it’s only been brave enough to show it’s little eyes. Any pointers on how to safely trap this little critter to observe him better? Video shows him a little better.

2A811E0B-4236-4BE1-A9C1-1BC42E2979FF.jpeg

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some live rock for a few months now, and I just noticed right now that a mantis looking little shrimp eyes were popping out of a little crevice. I can’t really see any color since it’s only been brave enough to show it’s little eyes. Any pointers on how to safely trap this little critter to observe him better? Video shows him a little better.

2A811E0B-4236-4BE1-A9C1-1BC42E2979FF.jpeg
Yes it sure is

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it looks like it.
easiest way is to have a second tank or bucket set up when he goes into a rock to hide pull the whole rock, then hunt him in the bucket.

you might be able to trade or sell it to your lfs. some people like keeping them in their own tanks.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
food in a tube, they make mantis shrimp traps, but basically the trick is to get them into something and remove it to get it out of your display tank before he gets your fish.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’ll eat the fish I have planned for this tank :D
I'm sure you can find him a home. Dip the rock he's in in really salti water for a bit. Not fatal of course but much higher than normal. Most hitchhikers will crawl out. Then pick the ones you want. Good luck.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a super cute way to introduce himself. I think he should be called "Eyes" or maybe a play on that "Ayes". LOL. Take a pic when you flush him out Good luck. :)

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is super cute.....
I had a mantis long ago with my first tank...showed up after my tank was about a year old. Probably came in as a baby on my live rock. Soon enough I started hearing Loud pops at night and one my one my fish disappeared. By the time i could catch him he decimated my fish. Glad you have seen him pre-fish stocking. They are beautiful animals, very unique.

Careful of where you place your hands...the pop is incredibly strong and can hurt you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back