Is this a pineapple sponge?

Romanks2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Was doing a water change on my biocube and found all these little white things stuck to the walls of the first chamber. I think it may be pineapple sponges, but I honestly have no clue. I did find a bristle worm from some live rock, so my other thought is that they could be some form of larvae.

Any thoughts?

IMG_2612.JPG

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Was doing a water change on my biocube and found all these little white things stuck to the walls of the first chamber. I think it may be pineapple sponges, but I honestly have no clue. I did find a bristle worm from some live rock, so my other thought is that they could be some form of larvae.

Any thoughts?

IMG_2612.JPG

Yes, pineapple sponges.

Most will say harmless, but if you touch them a lot or let them link up into big ones and remove with your hands, I can say from personal experience that pineapple sponges are toxic... I've developed healthy fear of them and they are one thing now I'll wear gloves when cleaning my sump and pumps in sump.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pineapple sponges.

Most will say harmless, but if you touch them a lot or let them link up into big ones and remove with your hands, I can say from personal experience that pineapple sponges are toxic... I've developed healthy fear of them and they are one thing now I'll wear gloves when cleaning my sump and pumps in sump.
What happened to you when you handled the sponge?

Right now I am staring at a giant white sponge that just showed up in my new tank. much too big to be a pineapple.
I almost grabbed it bare handed, ty for the warning.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back