Is this a problem?

indianapena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’m new to this hobby and in my search someone is selling me the aquarium on the photos, those green algae are a problem?
Sincerely thanks.

M.
0138cf4835b06c936fc264353e1a18d6.jpg

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its macroalgae, its not too detrimental but it is better off in your sump than in y our tank

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really it depends on your goals and livestock list. Could be free fish food, or a great place for copepods in your DT. Check out the Macro algae forum.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the macro algae goes - it depends on what type of environment you want. Some find it pretty. Some fish are more at home with it. There are a few types that can be really hard to keep under control - such as caulerpa. Others are easy to handle and add an often overlooked type of 'life' to your aquascape. Not sure what type that is in your pic so you would have to research it. Most macro algae can help water quality and benefit a tank as long as they are pruned back regularly.

I would actually be more concerned about those brown palythoas. They will grow and spread as well. If you like them, that's fine. If you don't like the look of them, you MUST be very careful and take careful precautions when trying to remove them. Some types are toxic and those toxins can easily absorbed by touch as well as inhaled if 'handled' inappropriately.

By no means am I saying don't it - all I'm saying is research "macro algae" and "paly toxin" on the forums to get a better understanding of each before you decide whether or not you would like that as your first tank.

OP
OP
I

indianapena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the information, I will consider the best option if I buy the aquarium.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back