IS THIS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER?? TOO CLOSE?

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone knows if that Hammer will sting the other coral? Very close to touching. Not sure what the big one is either acanthophyllia,trachyphyllia or lobophyllia nobody seems to agree lol. Just want to know if the Hammer touches it will it get stung? Should I separate them? Pls lmk.

20210517_131856.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best to move it before the expensive coral gets hurt (i am terrible between acanthos and trachys etc as well)

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the pic of them now
Yeah i would scoot it farther to the right. Corals are also really funny. Kinda like a moody woman, they could be fine next to each other for years and one day it just might want its space and kill everything in its vicinity lol

Had a brain next to multiple coral for 15 years, multiple large colonies. 2 weeks ago it sent out sweepers for the first time ever and took out all its neighbors, and almost caused a tank wide bacterial infection lol i completely lost a 6-8in birdnest colony, a few monti caps and a digitata colony.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i would scoot it farther to the right. Corals are also really funny. Kinda like a moody woman, they could be fine next to each other for years and one day it just might want its space and kill everything in its vicinity lol

Had a brain next to multiple coral for 15 years, multiple large colonies. 2 weeks ago it sent out sweepers for the first time ever and took out all its neighbors, and almost caused a tank wide bacterial infection lol i completely lost a 6-8in birdnest colony, a few monti caps and a digitata colony.
Dammmmm that suckks. Sorry to hear that I'll definitely move it I just don't know where at this point lol. No more real estate.....

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like its time for a new tank then ;) . Seriously though it looks like you have a lot of heads of that same hammer, so i think its off to the selling forum for it. Might as well get a little extra coral spending money in the wallet

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!! Move that acanthophyllia or hammer. BTW: That's definitely an acanthophyllia.
The hammer will most definitely reach out and "touch" that acan. And the sweeper tentacles are even longer, reaching upwards of 4-6 in in some cases.
You should try to keep the hammer 4-6 inches (6 preferable) from any other non-euphyllia coral.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have officially touched.... time to move em

Attachments

• 20210517_135927.jpg
    20210517_135927.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 55

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sweepers will extend further than you think...
Here is my hammer tearing apart my trachy... you can see the trachy receding close to the hammer.
unnamed.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the two corals are not touching the hammer will release sweeper tentacles at night that extend about 3-5 inches in length. I had a frogspawn wipe out a zoa colony, and it was never observably touching it. The hammer should be kept away from other corals. The only other corals that can be kept directly near it would be another hammer or a frogspawn.
Pic from the internet:
Hammer Stingers? - Coral Forum - Nano-Reef Community

Back