Is this a sebae? And will Ocellaris snowflakes host?

chrisc18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this anemone in my LFS on a whim, I believe it to be a sebae, however it was sold as an Atlantic which I know condys are often called.

The guy told me that my snowflake clowns will host it, however if it’s a condy I highly doubt they will, and if it’s a sebae, oceallaris tend not to host this kind of anemone?

when trying to get this little guy to settle I had difficulty and the LFS tried telling me to glue it which even as a novice I laughed this advice off. As you can imagine I won’t be going back there!

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I’m tempted currently to sadly return this little guy for a rose or green BTA. But if people think my clowns will host it I’d much rather wait to see if I can get them in it.

Many thanks for any help beforehand.

IMG_0810.jpeg

OP
OP
chrisc18

chrisc18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Condylactis gigantea which is an Atlantic non clownfish hosting anemone.
Thanks for your help, not trying to be rude or anything but how can you tell between this and a sebae

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help, not trying to be rude or anything but how can you tell between this and a sebae
It looks like a typical Condylactis. Tentacle count is way too low to be a H. malu or H. crispa which is what most people mean when they mean when they call an anemone a "Sebae anemone".

OP
OP
chrisc18

chrisc18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a typical Condylactis. Tentacle count is way too low to be a H. malu or H. crispa which is what most people mean when they mean when they call an anemone a "Sebae anemone".
Is the tentacles not something that changes with size, this is only small at the moment?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They chang esome and increase some as the anemone grow but no that much. Here is a picture of my small H. malu. H. crispa has even much more tentacle density.
MaluGreenTip2016051501.jpg

Video of a bleached unhealthy Crispa which some people can said it is like your's but not really.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tentacles not something that changes with size, this is only small at the moment?
It’s definitely a condy. I’d bet it has a red/orange foot (sebae don’t). Also, as @OrionN stated, the tentacles look like a condy. The shape, count, etc. match the characteristics of a condy and do not match with h.crispa. I’d also be willing to bet if you look closely at the tentacles you’ll notice a pattern similar to the photo below.

It’s a condylactis gigantea
08B7E15E-3614-4958-A834-32059C3B72C6.jpeg

OP
OP
chrisc18

chrisc18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They chang esome and increase some as the anemone grow but no that much. Here is a picture of my small H. malu. H. crispa has even much more tentacle density.
MaluGreenTip2016051501.jpg
It’s definitely a condy. I’d bet it has a red/orange foot (sebae don’t). Also, as @OrionN stated, the tentacles look like a condy. The shape, count, etc. match the characteristics of a condy and do not match with h.crispa. I’d also be willing to bet if you look closely at the tentacles you’ll notice a pattern similar to the photo below.

It’s a condylactis gigantea
08B7E15E-3614-4958-A834-32059C3B72C6.jpeg
The foot actually is white. Hence why I thought originally that it was a sebae also from a close look the tentacles are smooth.

A couple of guys have told me it’s H. Malu so I’m really confused :/

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foot actually is white. Hence why I thought originally that it was a sebae also from a close look the tentacles are smooth.

A couple of guys have told me it’s H. Malu so I’m really confused :/
The tentacles of a condy are smooth, but there are visible lines as shown in the picture. Please take a photo of the foot and a close-up of the tentacles. In your photo you can see the pattern on some of the tentacles despite the pic being a little unclear. The foot is buried in the sand, if you’re not certain of the anatomy.

I’m certain it’s a condy. It looks like every common condylactis I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisc18

chrisc18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tentacles of a condy are smooth, but there are visible lines as shown in the picture. Please take a photo of the foot and a close-up of the tentacles. In your photo you can see the pattern on some of the tentacles despite the pic being a little unclear. The foot is buried in the sand, if you’re not certain of the anatomy. I’m certain it’s a conduct
The tentacles of a condy are smooth, but there are visible lines as shown in the picture. Please take a photo of the foot and a close-up of the tentacles. In your photo you can see the pattern on some of the tentacles despite the pic being a little unclear. The foot is buried in the sand, if you’re not certain of the anatomy.

I’m certain it’s a condy. It looks like every common condylactis I’ve ever seen.
Thanks for your help mate I’m not trying to be rude and start saying you’re wrong. My LFS have made this a nightmare,

I’ll try get a good picture tomorrow as I’m in the UK and it’s 3am now. I don’t know why they told me it would host Oceallaris and furthermore why they told me to glue the things! It’s ridiculous.

If it does turn out to be a condy there’s no chance of my clowns hosting right?

Do you think I could get a sebae or a BTA and leave the condy in my tank with it!

Cheers

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful and hardy anemone. your anemone will be fine, but it likely will craw on to the rock.
first invertebrate I bought 40+ (1980) years ago was a Condy. Good luck with it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back