Is this a tumor? How do I treat?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could someone possibly ID this fairly large white growth on my female clown? I've never noticed it until today, but in that very same spot I have noticed some white tissue recently, but I thought it was just a sting wound as my fish spend lots of time discovering new corals.

Heres another pic I found of what it is, but this isn't my clownfish. Same growth-like thing.
#reefsquad please help, what should I do from here? Immediate QT? 1621105040443.png

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like an intracellular bacterial disease, or can even be lymphocystis.My best guess is the bacterial effect. Although rally reef pro will work, this may be best treated in a separate QT tank with Maracyn 2.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an intracellular bacterial disease, or can even be lymphocystis.My best guess is the bacterial effect. Although rally reef pro will work, this may be best treated in a separate QT tank with Maracyn 2.
I did some searching and I think it could be lymphocystis. I will go to my LFS tomorrow and get what I need for a QT, do you think 5g is enough for one clown?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did some searching and I think it could be lymphocystis. I will go to my LFS tomorrow and get what I need for a QT, do you think 5g is enough for one clown?
Yes and there is no formal treatment for lympho
Good diet and clean /good quality water will cause lymphocystis to fall off

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 So next morning and it seems the wound has begun to open. Does this help with any diagnosis? I think it may be lymphocystis, and I'm not sure if I should QT and medicate or simply do water change.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 So next morning and it seems the wound has begun to open. Does this help with any diagnosis? I think it may be lymphocystis, and I'm not sure if I should QT and medicate or simply do water change.
If the wound opened. . . likely bacterial. Lympho is a virus in which when water quality and diet are optimum, the noule will simply fall off.
Bacterial infections are often secondary to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation. Poor water quality, open wounds and nutritional deficiency (which lowers the natural immune system) are all possible contributing factors of infection. The best treatment for a bacterial infection is a broad-spectrum antibiotic again, such as Maracyn 2. Many factors make a fish more susceptible to infection. Can be as simple as a cut, or open wound is usually required for infection to set in. Even tiny bite marks left by a parasite trophont can get fish infected. Poor water quality is also usually a key ingredient which increases the odds of a bacterial infection. Also, anything that lowers the fish’s overall immune system makes infection more likely such as stress, fighting, malnourishment, or an ongoing parasitic or worm infestation which makes a secondary bacterial infection more possible.
Some symptoms of bacteria may include:
  • Any redness or open sores or wounds on a fish which raises suspicion
  • A white film or fungus looking growth on the fish
  • Frayed fins or fin & tail rot
  • Cloudy eyes
  • Bloating which can dictate an internal bacterial infection
This is nothing to play with and can progress quickly. the sooner you react, the better your chances of recovery on the clown.
What are you feeding the fish ?
I think Maracyn 2 followed by Ruby Rally Pro will be your best treatments.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip and Furan 2. If you can't set up a separate QT tank give him a bath in the Furan in well aerated water for a few hours every couple days.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip and Furan 2. If you can't set up a separate QT tank give him a bath in the Furan in well aerated water for a few hours every couple days.

I may be able to get a QT tank at Petsmart today or tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would Melafix work? It seems to have the same effects

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reason I recommends others is Furan best used as a bath as its a tad harsher. Ruby is reef safe and maracyn 2 - in normal quarantine- No bath required. The expense will will go to will far exceed the cost of the fish or another. Always try to recover the fish is key but at some point- you have to weigh and measure which direction to go.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I recommends others is Furan best used as a bath as its a tad harsher. Ruby is reef safe and maracyn 2 - in normal quarantine- No bath required. The expense will will go to will far exceed the cost of the fish or another. Always try to recover the fish is key but at some point- you have to weigh and measure which direction to go.
SHould I maybe start by just quarantining the fish? Then if it gets worse I start medicating?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Quick update: I was able to purchase a 5g starter kit from petsmart, with light, heater, filter, etc. I put one anemone decoration in there, I wasn't able to find any tubing to use.
I set up the tank, added nitrifying bacteria to quickstart the tank, waited a bit then put her in.
To be honest I feel sad for her as she is alone, confused and definitely scared. Hopefully she will begin to heal: I will observe for a week, so that she is less stressed and hopefully begins to heal, and then I will decide if I need to medicate or not. I have a theory that she may have been stung by a coral, and then the wound got infected. < Hoping that's what happened and that she will heal.
Also, I don't need the light on during the day do I? I feel like I've read that you don't need a light for QT because it can stress out the fish. Plus the light on this tank is white LEDs, and she is used to dimmer blue.
Tell me if you have any suggestions please :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Quick update: I was able to purchase a 5g starter kit from petsmart, with light, heater, filter, etc. I put one anemone decoration in there, I wasn't able to find any tubing to use.
I set up the tank, added nitrifying bacteria to quickstart the tank, waited a bit then put her in.
To be honest I feel sad for her as she is alone, confused and definitely scared. Hopefully she will begin to heal: I will observe for a week, so that she is less stressed and hopefully begins to heal, and then I will decide if I need to medicate or not. I have a theory that she may have been stung by a coral, and then the wound got infected. < Hoping that's what happened and that she will heal.
Also, I don't need the light on during the day do I? I feel like I've read that you don't need a light for QT because it can stress out the fish. Plus the light on this tank is white LEDs, and she is used to dimmer blue.
Tell me if you have any suggestions please :)
low or lack of light will keep the metabolism down. Lonely and stressed?
I got divorced and never been stressed since. . I just had to

Back