Nola Bear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A76242A4-D739-45AA-A2EC-61FDD04457C6.jpeg
0CEDEE73-DC36-4A56-A339-A69FE339254B.jpeg
I had assumed it was a type of aiptasia, but went back and forth with another Reefer and now I’m not so sure.

I have had what I would consider standard aiptasia, but this is different, almost grows in a mat. The other Reefer said they seemed like a kind of Xenia, but Im dubious about that. I’ve read up on some hydroid threads, and though they look similar to things I’ve seen in those, I’m still not certain.

I am certain, however, that someone on here will know what it is and enlighten me.

The first pic is about as close up as I can get, the second shows the entire mat. It covers ~2”x2” section of a very large rock that would be difficult to remove without essentially rescaping:(

Thanks in advance!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps (Clavularidae sp.) they can be invasive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nola Bear

Nola Bear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps (Clavularidae sp.) they can be invasive.
I don’t know... the polyps are much smaller than any clove I’ve seen in person or online.

OP
OP
Nola Bear

Nola Bear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pom pom hydroids. Yikes!
This is what I thought too, but they don’t have that tell-tale dandelion stalk, and what I have entirely disappears into the rock when disturbed.

OP
OP
Nola Bear

Nola Bear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking Anthelia. Or else Hydroids need another image.

It’s possible, definitely has the same “tendrils” don’t know the correct biological term here, but what I have appears to be much smaller. For size reference, the acro that is glued above it is only an 1-1.5” tall frag.

Whatever it is, I think I have a plan for attempted eradication. The infected area resides about 5” off the sand bed. I will drain the tank, leaving approx 4” of water and apply peroxide to the area for ~8-10 minutes?? and then put the water back into the tank. Feasible?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very close. Just without the bright green. https://reefs.com/2016/02/11/briareum-cylindrum-new-species-star-polyp/

The last of the Pacific species is P. stechei, which likewise appears to have a pale and smooth surface. Unlike the previous species, this coral has relatively large cortical sclerites measuring up to 0.75mm, which are clear in color (compared to the similarly sized but purple sclerites of B. violaceum). It’s likely this species is being exported for the aquarium industry, as specimens superficially matching this description abound, but, without more information on what stechei and cylindrum look like in life, it’s impossible to say more on the subject.
empatikyiyatik-1024x576.jpg

An aquarium specimen similar to the above. Note the unusual color of the tentacles and oral disc, as well as the unusually feathery (pinnate) morphology. Credit: empatikiyatik

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar, came in on green nepthea maybe 4 years ago
Is yours single polyps or a mat?

OP
OP
Nola Bear

Nola Bear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live inside the liverock and will retract completely when aggravated but when all out it appears to mat and entire surface area, if that makes any sense. It does not have a mat-like base like gsp that encrusts over the rock

What about yours? Pics?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live inside the liverock and will retract completely when aggravated but when all out it appears to mat and entire surface area, if that makes any sense. It does not have a mat-like base like gsp that encrusts over the rock

What about yours? Pics?

No mat, they will close up at night. Lights just went out but here's a couple pics
092a4cf120e50deeac06d66cfa8828b1.jpg
f8f0452decf2de8c363b29cbcfc90e1c.jpg

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I have. What are you doing about them?
Honestly I havent done anything yet... They habit been real explosive for me, like I said they were on the base of a nephthea I got in a trade about 4 years ago.
I know they are not aiptasia because the berghia I put in that tank, ate all the aiptasia (which was literally on the same area of rock pictured) and left these behind.
If I notice the growth pick up, I will probably remove the rock and try fenbendazole treatment. This is in a softy tank, so no in tankj fenbendazole treatment

OP
OP
Nola Bear

Nola Bear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I havent done anything yet... They habit been real explosive for me, like I said they were on the base of a nephthea I got in a trade about 4 years ago.
I know they are not aiptasia because the berghia I put in that tank, ate all the aiptasia (which was literally on the same area of rock pictured) and left these behind.
If I notice the growth pick up, I will probably remove the rock and try fenbendazole treatment. This is in a softy tank, so no in tankj fenbendazole treatment

Okay, so you have Kenya tree in your tank. I have a hitchhiker Kenya that has popped up from the sand in the very back of my tank. It is not something I wanted, but it is growing slowly so I haven’t done anything. I figured that when it got big enough I would clip it and bring to my lfs for trade in.

BUT, the “polyps” or “tendrils” on this mystery coral growing from our liverock really, really resembles the “polyps” or “tendrils” of the Kenya. Is it possible that it is just a mass of baby Kenya’s?

(I hope this makes sense. I know I’m probably using the wrong verbiage here. ;Pompus)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like Kenya tree polyps. However they haven't seemed to grow any larger. They have been in that spot for at least a year, (probably more like 2 or 3 years but I don't remember the timeline of when they showed up on that rock) with no change other than slight increase in number, but the nepthea next to it has exploded and produced numerous branches in the same time.
The Kenya tree like to drop branches, and I have seen it grow back whem removed but have not witnessed these grow in size beyond what they are now. I'll keep an eye on it though

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back