Is this a unique cycle situation? Newbie help flare

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... now. The LFS insisted that I needed them. I now understand that it was a little premature.
I’m doing my best to keep the water in check for them. Poor little things. I will have to take them back if the tank doesn’t cycle soon
I posted that before I saw there were other responses . If you're N03 and nitrates aren't coming down as of now I'd probably just take them back and let the tank finalize w the cycle. Did you use live rock or is that dry "life rock"?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per pics up close its legit real live

this is the link for that kind:

See how we never measured params

Because live rock moved among tanks doesn't recycle, it's param control remains

That's a posted number for nitrite and nitrate above, but we have param comparison threads that show how other kits report wildly different... that's how the whole thread runs without testing. even the stated numbers are right, that's not the final verified nitrite or nitrate by any means and ammonia was all that mattered anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that before I saw there were other responses . If you're N03 and nitrates aren't coming down as of now I'd probably just take them back and let the tank finalize w the cycle. Did you use live rock or is that dry "life rock"?
I’m they are coming down. Parameters here:

ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 40
pH 8.3
Salinity 34ppt

I used live wet rock

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m they are coming down. Parameters here:

ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 40
pH 8.3
Salinity 34ppt

I used live wet rock
Okay that's good, it should continue to drop, just hold off on the fish for another couple weeks to let everything balance out . Glad those levels are dropping !

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that's good, it should continue to drop, just hold off on the fish for another couple weeks to let everything balance out . Glad those levels are dropping !
Agreed! It was a relief to see them fall after the water change.
I plan to do another water change in a couple of days. But in the mean time, keep testing.
No plans to keep anything else in here until the tank is cycled. If that takes weeks then so be it.
Do you have any experience in using ATM Colony marine as a bacteria starter?

I’ve heard that it cycles a tank in a day and you HAVE to put fish in it otherwise it doesn’t work properly. This was the advice of the LFS.... I’m not convinced

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consider the link above in relation to this thread, regarding nitrites, lethality etc

its an actual dedicated study solely to this type of cycle do click lemme know if wildly off base/its tanks started.

per that link one can save money, start the reef on time and track outcomes for years. very selective method there, not like the rest. not like dry rock cycling, at all in fact.

transferring wet rocks tank to tank is never a new cycle. its only an api cycle heh

we would never add bottle bac to a live rock cycle, its redundant and they're getting your money for bacteria twice over.

Last edited:

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but I've used Fritz 9 and was cycled in around 10 days. You already have somewhat of a bio load with your Cuc so by them saying you NEED a fish for it to work seems a bit arbitrary. I would personally just let the tank run for a couple of weeks and let the bacteria do it's thing. Keep researching every topic and be aware that some people may give you bad information on here. Being told your tank is "cycled" when you have 8 parts nitrate and 80 parts nitrate is astonishing !!

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you had an ammonia spike due to probably die off from the LFS to your home in that live rock.
Initial numbers were worrying, but good to hear they are coming down.

Your tank will be fully cycled in no time. :)

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m so excited for it to cycle. Ammonia is still at about .2. That’s 2 days after doing a massive 50% water change. Perhaps I should do another tomorrow.
Would you agree?

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of you who may still be wondering about my cycle. Or anyone who wants to give advice, or comment, my parameters are bow as follows

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
pH 8.2

this was after another 50% water change.

inverts and cut seem to be happier. The hermits are climbing up the side of the tank and the snails are wandering about going about their daily business.

I could watch this lot for hours... oh wait... I do!!

E5E0D748-7E56-4D68-AF9E-B176A4C88191.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back