Is this Aiptasia? I'm pretty sure it is...

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture is attached.

Pesky thing came in on a coral plug...

Thanks

20191208-DSC_0681.jpg

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth the coral take the plug out and throw it in a fire. Then take the rock it's on and blow torch the spot the plug touched.

In all seriousness from my own experience if you see the one on the plug there are a lot more you cant see on the plug. I'd get that coral off the plug, do a coral dip, and put the coral in a qt to make sure no aptasia grow on its skeleton

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not want to deal with aiptasia...I am currently having aiptasia issues myself. Follow what others above have recommended.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not want to deal with aiptasia...I am currently having aiptasia issues myself. Follow what others above have recommended.
I had issues with my 1st tank and aiptasia. Came in on a small peace of liverock l used for cycling. I tried aiptasia x and as long as I kept on top of killing them weekly it was manageable. As soon as my tank had a crash and I let em go they went bonkers and I had thousands, ended up tearing down and bleaching the rock

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, these are some scary responses for newbies (That's me). I just dealt with the same today. I took the plug out, I heated a paperclip on the stove and burnt it (The Aptasia). It disintegrated. But I put the plug back in with the coral.

Last edited:

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, these are some scary responses for newbies. I just dealt with the same today. I took the plug out, I heated a paperclip on the stove and burnt it (The Aptasia). It disintegrated. But I put the plug back in with the coral.
Agree sometimes our sarcasm and over reaction can cone across as scary and would be non helpful to a new reefer dealing with this pest. However, I would not take it lightly. The reason we overreact is because this pest has been one of the most difficult to eradicate. You think you got it and months later they pop up again and spread. I'd remove the frag plug 100% and if the coral was cheap might just toss the coral, not worth the headache

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was aiptasia free for years because I never put zoas in my tank. The day I did the infestation started. I was using kalk paste and aiptasia x and they spread throughout the tank. I broke down and bought some Burghia, however they work slowly. The best way in my experience to get rid of aiptasia is a filefish. They methodically eat them and maintain your tank for you.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One noob to another, kill it now and hope they are gone. They seem harmless but if they get established in your tank, you have a long term battle. I finally have a file fish that is making a dent

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, Berghia nudi's have taken care of every aiptasia issue I have had. Expensive but worth it to have 0 aiptasia. Now if I could just get rid of that majano

I so hope you're right. Just got 20 of them for my 139 g. I'm imagining them munching away as I type :) I inherited them with the tank but I did know they were in there.

OP
OP
Adam_M

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the responses. I took out the plug, scraped off all that I could see and dipped it, and I see some more this morning... considering just getting rid of the zoa if I do the process again and they're still popping up(it's a Pandora Zoa that I really like, but I've heard some awful things about Aiptasia)

I'm also planning on putting a bunch of glue over the area of the plug that they're popping up to hopefully seal them in.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to just remove the plug. It's a good habit to always remove corals from plugs regardless of whether or not you see anything as the plugs are one of the most common areas for hitchhikers, eggs, nuisance algae, etc to hide. If you see stuff on the plug its just more reasont to dip and inspect the coral carefully

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth the coral take the plug out and throw it in a fire. Then take the rock it's on and blow torch the spot the plug touched.

In all seriousness from my own experience if you see the one on the plug there are a lot more you cant see on the plug. I'd get that coral off the plug, do a coral dip, and put the coral in a qt to make sure no aptasia grow on its skeleton

A bit intense, just shoot the coral with aptasia x or other solutions.

Corals are animals, not bugs. Going around killing them just because of a little aptasia is messed up.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit intense, just shoot the coral with aptasia x or other solutions.

Corals are animals, not bugs. Going around killing them just because of a little aptasia is messed up.
Technically bugs are animals as well so equally messed up
Aiptasia x has been helpful for big guys but they usually come back or spread ime. Also if you see 1 big aiptasia, chances are there are many smaller microscopic ones.
Also I did say id remove the plug, dip, and qt to watch for more. If that fails than blowtorch will be helpful

OP
OP
Adam_M

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dipping and just removing the zoas from the plug and just putting them into the tank without it? I could glue them directly to the surface of the rock, but I'm a bit concerned about taking some of the little buggers with me.

Back