Is this aiptasia?

Lauren36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help identifying whatever these are. Found them on three different zoas this afternoon. If it is aiptasia, any recommended treatment?

PXL_20210723_224646417.jpg PXL_20210723_224636064.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second picture looks to be aiptasia. Remove the coral from the tank, remove the coral from the plug leaving the aiptasia where it is, or scraping off the zoas. Rinse the zoas in clean water and reattach them to a clean plug or rock and put that in an observation tank if you have one, or keep an eye out for reoccurance if you did not remove all the aiptasia tissue during the operation.

The 1st plug, can't be sure? If those squiggly lines are the same creatures as shown on the 2nd plug then yes that plug also has aiptasia, but much worse. I would toss the whole plug, or carefully remove the clean area of zoas and toss the remainder to rid the tank of the infestation.

If it is a different critter (it kind of looks like an algae?) then a different treatment may be required? Can't decide from that first photo. Removing the plug and taking a picture in white lighting (in a glass) might help to id that issue.

HTH.
k

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back