Is this aiptasia?

jonathan23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty new reefer and I just saw this in my sand bed. My first thought was aiptasia but I couldn't tell through pictures. Someone help me please?

IMG_4568.JPG

alxrosco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is an aiptasia. Try to kill it as soon as possible, and keep an eye for more. I use Aiptasia X from Red Sea, I normally have to apply it twice, before is completely gone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pretty new reefer and I just saw this in my sand bed. My first thought was aiptasia but I couldn't tell through pictures. Someone help me please?

IMG_4568.JPG
Being that it is on the bottom, you should be able to scrape this off with edge of credit card and discard

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is so small I bet it's not even reaching the bottom. You can probably gently scoop underneath it with some gravel. Or just watch closely where it recedes and gently dig it out with the flow off.

alxrosco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that you can scoop out the sand where the aiptasia is, that probably would work. I suggested the aiptasia Rx, because manual removal in terms of scraping, cutting, or scrubbing is not a recommended method for removing them. Aiptasias are capable of reproducing asexually. If you tear an Aiptasia to pieces, chances are that those pieces will settle somewhere else in the tank and create a whole new Aiptasia, this could lead to an exponential growth of Aiptasia numbers in the tank. There are many methods to remove them, peppermint shrimps, hot water, peroxide, electric wands, etc. eventually you will find one that you works best for you. It has been years since I have not had one in my tank, but they always find their way in.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is so small I bet it's not even reaching the bottom. You can probably gently scoop underneath it with some gravel. Or just watch closely where it recedes and gently dig it out with the flow off.
+1 worked for me when one of my Aiptasia was buried and moved onto the sandbed.

Back