Is this an abrasion or something I should be more worried about?

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FEDBFBAB-502B-4FBC-B118-62E3813D16A3.jpeg

DDAFBEB4-32C8-4C93-AF0A-491AC883138E.jpeg

My female clown has this strange little red mark directly below the dorsal fin on both sides of her body (pictures above.) Is this an abrasion or some kind of bacterial disease? She’s acting perfectly fine and I don’t see it in any of my other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, abrasions or injuries aren’t symmetrical - you see them on one side of the fish, not both sides equally.
Is the fish showing any other symptoms? Rapid breathing, not eating normally?
Can you try for clearer pictures (less contrast) or a short video?

Jay

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a video to see if it helps. When I get done with work today I’ll also try to get a high contrast photo if the video doesn’t help.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.MOV
    29.9 MB

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is gonna sound stupid but are you certain it wasn't always this way and it's not just part of it's pattern? I'm having difficulty seeing anything concerning in the photo or video.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a video to see if it helps. When I get done with work today I’ll also try to get a high contrast photo if the video doesn’t help.
Whups, the video is under blue light, like your first picture, white light is better. I can see just the hint of some skin lesions, the ones I'm worried about are at the top of the brown bar behind the eyes - looks like it could be Brooklynella or even mucus produced by ich.
I'm going to need more history on the fish. Here is a link to some helpful information for me to know:

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whups, the video is under blue light, like your first picture, white light is better. I can see just the hint of some skin lesions, the ones I'm worried about are at the top of the brown bar behind the eyes - looks like it could be Brooklynella or even mucus produced by ich.
I'm going to need more history on the fish. Here is a link to some helpful information for me to know:

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay
So the white spots you see in the video are new, just developed today. I already had recently successfully treated this clown for ich with coppersafe and it doesn’t quite look like it. The white spots are more pointed or fuzzy? So maybe it is Brooklynella or a bacterial disease? Can it spread to my other fish? I have something I can make into a QT.

Attachments

• 64556989555__EF96550C-9B2C-4D3D-B806-476752E670A2.MOV
    1.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the skin lesions a bit better, but it could be Brooklynella or a relapse of ich. I doubt that it is a bacterial disease, those are typically secondary to some injury and I don't see evidence of that. If it is ich, then yes, other fish exposed can/will get it. If it is brooklynella, then mostly it would be limited to clownfish and a few other species.
You say the spots are pointed - I can't see that, but there is an issue called idiopathic mucus that shows up after copper treatments sometimes where the fish just produces extra mucus. It goes away on its own.

It would help if I had full background info on this fish though -

Jay

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the skin lesions a bit better, but it could be Brooklynella or a relapse of ich. I doubt that it is a bacterial disease, those are typically secondary to some injury and I don't see evidence of that. If it is ich, then yes, other fish exposed can/will get it. If it is brooklynella, then mostly it would be limited to clownfish and a few other species.
You say the spots are pointed - I can't see that, but there is an issue called idiopathic mucus that shows up after copper treatments sometimes where the fish just produces extra mucus. It goes away on its own.

It would help if I had full background info on this fish though -

Jay
1. Fish only tank; 32 gallon; has mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration. I did have a UV sterilizer running but I suspected that it impacted my biological filtration to a degree. It has the LED’s that come with the BioCube. It’s been established for ~8 months.
(Sorry don’t mind the algae)
image.jpg
2. Temp: 77F
pH: 8.0
Specific gravity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphorus: unsure
Copper: 0ppm
3. Her companion, a small frostbite clown went missing. I can’t find his body so I had originally thought maybe a crab got him or my wrasse decided to be a jerk? No one else lost or affected. (I have a baby dogface puffer who will be going to a 180 gallon tank in about a month, a Christmas wrasse, a diamond watchman goby, and her.)
Her respiration rate looks to be around 76. She’s still eating /very/ well. I haven’t treated her with anything yet. She had ich back in late march/early April, she was treated with coppersafe, recovered, and has been doing fine since the end of the treatment.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 47

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the good respiration and appetite, I don’t really see anything to treat for. It may just be that mucus that I mentioned. If the issue spreads, then I would lean towards it being brooklynella.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back