Is this an Eclectus or Jawbreaker? The Sand Bar Coral Farms Discosoma Giveaway!

Dizzle573

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a cross between electus and a jawbreaker.. Looks half and half to me.

Jorin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked through your website and there are some tough choices for a favorite coral. I like the grading system with the information presented.

Sand Bar Coral Farms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Thanks to all of you who took part in Sand Bar Coral Farms’ Discosoma Giveaway Contest! You made it fun and informative by sharing your knowledge, opinions, and arguing about whether the coral shown is an Eclectus or a Jawbreaker. We appreciate all the comments, ideas, compliments, and other input you shared on the Reef2Reef contest discussion board, too.

Over the course of the contest, we’ve given away 3 frag packs worth $750 and $500 in Sand Dollars to the winners of our weekly drawings. The Grand Prize winner of the $650.00+ Discosoma Congratulations to all the winners throughout the contest!

Now it’s time for the big moment---revealing the True identity of the mystery coral!

Is it an Eclectus or a Jawbreaker? The answer is…surprise, it’s neither!

The mystery coral is actually a Discosoma. Yes, we had the answer all along (Discosoma Giveaway)

And only one person commented on the discussion board calling into question the two possible answers. It’s almost like we hypnotized you and our suggestions for what the mystery coral was became your only reality.

We designed this contest not just to generate informative community discussions and give away cool prizes, but also to get you thinking about why we use the coral names we do.

Names like Eclectus and Jawbreaker, as well as Oompa Loompa, Tickle Monster, and dozens of others, take us away from the real names of corals and can cause confusion not just for veteran fraggers trying to find what they want online, but also for newcomers to the hobby.

Think about it. Let’s say you thought the mystery coral was a Jawbreaker. One day, you decide to adopt one and give it a home in your aquarium. When you start searching online for the best prices on Jawbreakers, you’re looking for a coral similar to what was shown in the contest picture. You find one with killer coloring and gobs of bubbles, hand over your $100’s and are overjoyed when you new baby arrives.

Days, weeks, months later, you have fragger friends over and, of course, everyone is admiring your tank(s). Because not everyone knows everything, and friends love to give us crap when we do something stupid, you come to find out that what you bought is actually a Discosoma, just a Discosoma that’s Pallette, Pattern and Presentation represents what you thought you bought. Then how would you feel about thinking the mystery coral was a Jawbreaker?

Sand Bar Coral Farms has created the Sand Dollar Standard (SDS) to help alleviate this problem. The SDS grading system using the Genus and species names of corals as a clear and consistent method of identification. No Blueberry Blast, Grizzly Adams, or Bling Bling, and no confusion. We understand each other because we all speak the same language.

We commissioned the writing of a white paper (Introduction Link) (White Paper Download link) which details all the aspects of the SDS and we encourage you to read it and give us your comments. What it comes down to is a standardized rating and description system based on the 3Ps of Pattern, Presentation, and Palette. The result for all of us is getting the coral we want at a fair market price whether you’re a casual hobbyist, retailer, or wholesaler.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back