Is this anemone dying?

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just looks terrible and it looks like all kinds of gross is coming out its mouth.

20220807_181255.jpg 20220807_181248.jpg

OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's been about 24 hours. It balled up last night, I haven't been home most the day and my roommate said earlier today it looked better but I haven't seen him open up in a bit.

He's been stressed lately I had a bit of a nutrient spike (nitrates were up around 25) and a cleaner shrimp kept annoying him so I've been concerned for him lately. Over the past week I've done 3 water changes equaling 40% change. I should also mention I dosed a correct amount of chemiclean yesterday for a stubborn algae bloom.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

sergifed91

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I got one that looks just as bad. My pH hasn't hit 7.8 in a few days. Ran an airline from skimmer to outside today. Although I got results of above 7.8 but was hoping that it would hit 8.0 to 8.1 by now. But I finished at 4:30 and by. 4:40 pm it was running and pulling air from outside to skimmer. Going to wait for 24 hours to see where it is by 430 pm tomorrow.

BRS
OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You should order ciprofloxacin medication just in case tomorrow it has bloom out big. It might have bacterial infection, however it can just be pooping.
Is that metroplex or kanaplex or something else? I'm looking on Amazon, thank you

Top Shelf Aquatics

Garyakala

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Nope, he has bacterial infection. You need to get ciprofloxacin medication as soon as possible. It looks like his tentacles are shrinking slowly. Once you get the medication can do two methods by get 10 gallon qt tank and dose the ciprofloxacin once a day or you can try my method crush the medication into powdery like and get syringe and inject directly into it mouth once a day. Make sure used the tank water with medication instead of RIDO water.

OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Nope, he has bacterial infection. You need to get ciprofloxacin medication as soon as possible. It looks like his tentacles are shrinking slowly. Once you get the medication can do two methods by get 10 gallon qt tank and dose the ciprofloxacin once a day or you can try my method crush the medication into powdery like and get syringe and inject directly into it mouth once a day. Make sure used the tank water with medication instead of RIDO water.
Dt is fishless and my qt has 3 fish in it with copper right now so if possible would like to inject it into him if possible. I'll look for that medicine

Corals.com
OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just took a peek in the tank with a flashlight I couldn't find the nem for a couple mins then it looks like he's got himself in the middle of the rockwork at the bottom of the tank. He looks ok from what I can see but prolly not the most hopeful behavior? I don't know if he's been getting too much flow or what..

OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
After reading a bit I also feel the need to now mention around the time he started moving around I did change my light settings. White light was at 0 and uv and blue and red light was at 100%. I recently changed it so white light is at 70% and red is now at 0 as well as lowering uv and blue to 60%.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sounds like a bunch of instability and a newer tank. Both are bad for anemone. If it continues to deteriorate a hospital tank and a course of cipro may change things for the better. However if the base needs of an anemone aren't covered. There likely isn't any saving it.

OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sounds like a bunch of instability and a newer tank. Both are bad for anemone. If it continues to deteriorate a hospital tank and a course of cipro may change things for the better. However if the base needs of an anemone aren't covered. There likely isn't any saving it.
He seems like he's liking the new spot ok, it has less light and more flow. He's attached to rockwork like I'd think a bta would but if anything looks better not worse. I'll keep an eye on him tho and keep my system more stable.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
A

Aluco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Please assist my anemone has been cramed under a rock for about 3 days now. Think he's still alive but this is alarming behavior imo. I feel as though I should intervene here but was hoping to get your thoughts on the matter. Ty!

Attachments

• 20220817_143502.jpg
    20220817_143502.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 28

reefah

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
i couldn't find nitrates and phosphate levels? in my experience.. nems will move until they're happy. never force them to move.. if he is hiding then just leave him... but i would also try to drop some mysis or reef riods in his mouth at least once/twice a week so he can bounce back... wishing the best!

Does it matter to you whether your fish are captive-bred or wild caught?

• I only buy captive bred fish.

Votes: 96 14.5%
  • It matters, but I will buy either captive-bred or wild-caught.

Votes: 463 70.2%
  • I think wild-caught fish are the better option.

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • I don’t care where the fish were bred.

Votes: 85 12.9%
First Choice