Is this aptasia?

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had this coral frag over a month and I did dip it. This thing appears stuck to the side of of it. No other signs in the tank and haven’t added anything for about a month when I added a scoly which I also dipped.

7FCA720B-49A3-4360-B2A4-B45FD61ECBB7.jpeg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Aiptasia X is worth a try as are the other "remedies" on this forum; no guarantees as to what will work so you probably will have to try more than one. Personally I've had good luck with file fish, but know that they are 50/50 reef safe.

Try to remove plug before treating if you can

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately that is an aiptasia. Dips do not kill them. You can use Aiptasia X, F Aiptasia, lemon juice, or Kalk paste to remove them.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it likely came on that plug and was just tiny and I never noticed it. Would it have already multiplied or will this be the only one? We’ve never had them before so don’t know if they spread or what

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I would encourage you to remove the frag from your tank.

If the aiptasia is attached to the frag plug I would remove the plug and chuck it. If you cannot do that, scrape the aiptasia off with a razor blade and rinse thoroughly before putting it back in your tank. When aiptasia are threatened they can/will release spores in you tank.

Yes, these things can multiply quickly. They sting neighboring corals.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it likely came on that plug and was just tiny and I never noticed it. Would it have already multiplied or will this be the only one? We’ve never had them before so don’t know if they spread or what
If you look up "prolific" in the dictionary you'll see a picture of an aiptasia next to the word!

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I would encourage you to remove the frag from your tank.

If the aiptasia is attached to the frag plug I would remove the plug and chuck it. If you cannot do that, scrape the aiptasia off with a razor blade and rinse thoroughly before putting it back in your tank. When aiptasia are threatened they can/will release spores in you tank.

Yes, these things can multiply quickly. They sting neighboring corals.

yeah the plug is still loose so will definitely take it out and get rid of pest one way or another.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back