Is this bacterial that's killing my coral?

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few months I've been dealing with random dying sps and things just not going right. Water test after water test, WC after WC, nothing seems to be getting better. Some sps are thriving while others are STN or RTN. This monti I have had for a while started to receed overnight but I'm a weird pattern. Maybe could this be a better sign of exactly what's going wrong with my tank?

DSC_1315.JPG DSC_1314.JPG

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have more info about your system and parameters? Perhaps full tank shots. Really hard to diagnose something as bacterial from pictures typically.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have more info about your system and parameters? Perhaps full tank shots. Really hard to diagnose something as bacterial from pictures typically.
Tests are as follows
Phosphate- .05 to .08 hanna
Nitrate- 4 and 8 red sea
Mag- 1450 red sea
Calcium- 480 red sea
1.026 SG

Tank has been up and running for 10 months. Rock came from existing tank. Battling green turf algae which I treated with vibrant a few months ago. It worked well but noticed some corals were not reacting well. So I stopped the dosing back in Feb and the turf came back. Fighting it with a tux urchin now.

1 vortech MP40
1 vortech mp 10 running along the back to keep the back of the tank stirred up.

I've noticed my gem tang was looking like he was getting beaten up about a month ago. I never saw any aggression in the tank. Just recently I noticed he's been getting pinholes in his fins. Possible HLLE?? I started feeding garlic enriched seaweed and changing up the tanks diet. I do not use carbon and I have a grounding probe in the tank.

I notice a few micro bubbles on the rock here and there. Nothing like a bad outbreak or anything. Possible dinos?

Just lost 2 more sps frags out of nowhere again. It seems to go from one frag to another. Starts as the base or tips turning white, then stn.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics

Noticed the yellow hammer is a little bleached the bottom. Has been doing great for 5 months

Attachments

• DSC_1365.JPG
    DSC_1365.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_1366.JPG
    DSC_1366.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_1367.JPG
    DSC_1367.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 30

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you did not mention Alk....and this one is crucial.
Maybe I just missed it.
Your phosphate may be showing a good number as the green in your tank is mopping most of that up..

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed you did not mention Alk....and this one is crucial.
Maybe I just missed it.
Your phosphate may be showing a good number as the green in your tank is mopping most of that up..
I'm sorry, alk is between 7 and 8.

Yes I figured the phosphates are where they are due to the turf algae. I dose phosphates just to keep them up. If I don't, my phosphates go to 0 and I worry my corals will start bleaching because of it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back