Is this bad?????

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving some stuff in the tank today and found this. it is about 1.5". Any ideas of what it is and if it is good or bad:eek:oh: Thanks

nudi013.jpg

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some sort of sea slug/nudibranch? by looking at it, i would think its probably of the algae eating variety and harmless....but thats only a guess.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some sort of sea slug/nudibranch? by looking at it, i would think its probably of the algae eating variety and harmless....but thats only a guess.

Thanks. Im hoping that is the case. I havnt noticed any thing different with my corals or anything. Any others have any input?

m'akoyPINOY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should remove it in your DT or say goodbye to your little clam!
i think some member here would like to buy some pest,forgot his name.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed it the only problem is I dont know if that is the only one. It looks identical to the one on the video posted up above. What I dont know is if it eats corals or not. Will a mallanarus wrasse(sp) eat something of that size?

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think that what I have is a Polyclad Flatworms. From what I found out they can eat snails and clams. Does anyone have any idea on whether or not they will effect my corals or not?

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron Shimek's Website... Flatworms
about half way down the page it there are some pics but im still worried. I dip all of my corals and let all new live rock dry for at least a month before I add to the tank so im a little confused as to how it made it into the tank.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyclad flatworm= VERY BAD for snails, clams, etc.

+1

I had one that wiped out my snail population. Luckily I had my clams up high on the rocks and it hadn't made it up there yet before I got it out. You have to be careful removing it because it can just tear in half and keep going. I caught mine by using a red led flashlight at night and found it on a snail shell and just grabbed the entire shell out of the tank.

It also started on the legs of my serpent star.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all of the info guys. I found a new home for my clam and i removed this guy but it is hard to know if there are any others. I was just about to buy another 200 snails but I think i will hold off. How do they reproduce? What are the chances that this guy is just one of many?

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I had one that wiped out my snail population. Luckily I had my clams up high on the rocks and it hadn't made it up there yet before I got it out. You have to be careful removing it because it can just tear in half and keep going. I caught mine by using a red led flashlight at night and found it on a snail shell and just grabbed the entire shell out of the tank.

It also started on the legs of my serpent star.

When you finally pulled it out did you have better success with your snails? I guess my question is do you think that you had more than one in your tank or did everything go back to normal after he was removed?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all of the info guys. I found a new home for my clam and i removed this guy but it is hard to know if there are any others. I was just about to buy another 200 snails but I think i will hold off. How do they reproduce? What are the chances that this guy is just one of many?

It's rare that a tank is infested with flatworms like yours, and more times than not it's just one.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a ton for all of the info guys. I was really worried there for a bit. Im still curious as to what kind of fish I can add to my tank that will be a natural predator for this type of flatworm just in case. Any ideas? I already have a 6line wrasse as well as a male hawaiin flame wrasse. Thanks

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back