Is this black bugs all over my monti?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed it losing color over the past couple of weeks. Tonight I decided to check it out and saw all the black spots on it. I took a video then used a syringe to blow them off and then another video. They appear to blow off easily. Also, I dip every coral I have in Bayer before entering the tank. How do I remedy this?

After blowing them off

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the same as others have run across, they are actually halacarid mites and are extremely resistant to most treatments.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read that thread, yikes. So I have only noticed these in my monti, nothing else and I don't have a ton of acros. I'm not really sure what to do next. The monti is encrusted on a rock and the rock is fairly large (2x softball sized). It sounds like a dip might work for the monti ones??

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that thread, yikes. So I have only noticed these in my monti, nothing else and I don't have a ton of acros. I'm not really sure what to do next. The monti is encrusted on a rock and the rock is fairly large (2x softball sized). It sounds like a dip might work for the monti ones??
How is the coral doing? Is it losing tissue?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is the coral doing? Is it losing tissue?
Hard to say if it's losing tissue, faded, yes. White areas, yes. Pale areas, yes. Peeling, no.

I blew the bugs off 2 nights ago, the have not returned and I've been checking it multiple times at night and morning. I'm hopeful but doubt it can be that easy....nothing in this game ever is.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly appears to be parasitic behavior. Sometimes we confuse parasitic with scavenging behavior. Cause versus effect. But if the flesh is live -- which that looks to be -- and critters are on it... kind of a bad sign.

IIRC, Interceptor was shown to be ineffective.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back