Is This Bottle of Peroxide Ok For Killing Manjanos?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, so I've got some Manjano nems along with a few aiptasia that I want to kill off. I've tried injecting lemon juice which seems to work ok for the aiptasia but not do much for the Manjano nems so I decided to turn to trying injecting them with hydrogen peroxide. I didn't notice before buying that the little bottle I bought is actually 6% instead of 3% so should I dilute it with water more? I really don't want to affect my microbiome any more than is necessary and since these are nano tanks I get concerned the stronger solution might kill off some of the biofilm the starfish eat. My other concern is the fact that it says on the bottle it has a "stabilizing agent" in it which is an unknown. Does anyone know if typical bottles of peroxide have a "stabilizing agent" in them? If so, I'd assume it's the same one and therefore safe to use but if that's not the case I worry about what that chemical may be and if it could be harmful to my small tank...should I use it or just buy the different brand I've used before of 3% (I don't know if it has the same stabilizing agent or not).
16658420798936176125744323326258.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about what the stablizing agent is. But if you find out and it's "safe" you could dilute with distilled water to get the strength you want or if it's small amounts use as is.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about what the stablizing agent is. But if you find out and it's "safe" you could dilute with distilled water to get the strength you want or if it's small amounts use as is.
It doesn't say on the bottle what the stabilizer is (I was hoping maybe this was actually standard which is something Randy would probably have knowledge of)...I'd just be using small amounts but due to the small tank volume it wouldn't take much to cause an issue if it did happen to be toxic...maybe I should inject with aiptasia X instead...does it work on manjanos too?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stabalizer is not standard for pharmacy grade H2O2 in the US. You might try contacting the manufacterer. FWIW I haven't found anything that is 100% for majanos and aiptasia except manual removal (can be a real hassle) and animals that eat them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stabalizer is not standard for pharmacy grade H2O2 in the US. FWIW I haven't found anything that is 100% for majanos and aiptasia except manual removal (can be a real hassle) and animals that eat them.
I'll play it safe with some 3% standard peroxide (or at least give it a shot when I can pick some up tomorrow then)...I've always been wary of chemicals tbh (especially unknown chemicals)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish tbh I'm not a huge fan of using peroxide in the first place but I really don't want those nems spreading any further than they have already. How do you do manual removal of manjanos? Or do you think really hot water might do the job?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried all the various methods touted over the years and some seem to have worked well initially only to have large outbreaks months later as the pieces left over founs places to attacjhe and grow. For manual removal you likely will have to remove the rocks and use a flat blade screw driver to dig the anemones out then rinse well in a bucket of salt water and maybe scrub the area with a toothbrush before returning to the tank. Expect to have to do this several time to get everything. :/

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back