Is this Brook?

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these clownfish for a week now and on the 2nd day the more dominant one beat up the clownfish In the picture, resulting in fin damage and injuries to the scales on the right side of the fish. After that they settled down and there were no more problems.
I noticed today that the injured clownfish was breathing a bit heavier than the other one, and was sometimes splashing the surface. Its fins look like they are eroding away and there looks like a bit of slime peeling away on the right side. The clownfish is still eating well and is not swimming into the current.

Could this be brook? Or just an infection.

20201024_100039.jpg

Attachments

• 20201024_100057.mp4
    23.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing symptoms in both fish. It could be Brooklynella, could also be Amyloodinium (velvet) or even a bacterial infection - white clowns are soo difficult to see things on! I see increased respiration, so that tends to rule out bacterial infection (except in later stages).

What treatment options do you have? Do you have a treatment tank you can use? Do you have any neds in hand?

Jay

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing symptoms in both fish. It could be Brooklynella, could also be Amyloodinium (velvet) or even a bacterial infection - white clowns are soo difficult to see things on! I see increased respiration, so that tends to rule out bacterial infection (except in later stages).

What treatment options do you have? Do you have a treatment tank you can use? Do you have any neds in hand?

Jay
I don't have a treatment tank, but I could probably convert one of my small freshwater tanks I use for shrimp breeding into one, it has an internal sponge filter. I'm going to the shop to get some medication with formaldehyde to do a bath for both fish, but I would be returning them to the infected tank which is not ideal. What can I look for to rule out velvet?
Thanks for your help, from what I've read I don't have high hopes for the injured one but I want to try and save the other.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a FW dip to see if it gives any relief, if it does, then you are dealing with a protozoan. A formalin dip can also be done, but is a bit trickier - I'd suggest 150 ppm formalin for 30 minutes with good aeration. Of course, this won't cure the fish, since the infection is in the tank itself.

Jay

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a FW dip to see if it gives any relief, if it does, then you are dealing with a protozoan. A formalin dip can also be done, but is a bit trickier - I'd suggest 150 ppm formalin for 30 minutes with good aeration. Of course, this won't cure the fish, since the infection is in the tank itself.

Jay
Ok thanks for the help.
I'm going to do a freshwater dip and start getting a treatment tank running today for when I do a formalin dip. Luckily I have no other fish in my tank and I'll be sure to not add any for 8 weeks.

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the help.
I'm going to do a freshwater dip and start getting a treatment tank running today for when I do a formalin dip. Luckily I have no other fish in my tank and I'll be sure to not add any for 8 weeks.

Jay

Jay
I wasn't able to find formalin near me, but I found this. Is it the same?

20201024_145403.jpg

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to find formalin near me, but I found this. Is it the same?

20201024_145403.jpg
Haven't done chemistry for a while but eventually figured out this is only 3.7%. I have ordered some formalin online which will come in a few days. Meanwhile the clownfish are doing much better after a freshwater dip, breathing has slowed noticeably and some of the slime/growth has come off. Fed them again afterwards and they are still eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done chemistry for a while but eventually figured out this is only 3.7%. I have ordered some formalin online which will come in a few days. Meanwhile the clownfish are doing much better after a freshwater dip, breathing has slowed noticeably and some of the slime/growth has come off. Fed them again afterwards and they are still eating.
That product is a freshwater ich medication, I never had it work for me in marine tanks. You will likely need to repeat the FW dips daily to keep buying you time.
Jay

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! The clowns are still doing very well. I haven't observed any more head shaking and splashing, and their breathing is still fine. No visible growth or mucus on the fins like before. I skipped the freshwater dip yesterday because I didn't want to stress them out too much but will do another today to be safe. I have set up a treatment tank and am now just waiting for the formalin to arrive.

Thanks for the help, wouldn't have got this far without it @Jay Hemdal @fishguy242 @Cole.mormon

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish are 1 week post formalin dip and going well, but noticed speckling on the tailfin this morning :( turns out it was velvet. Gonna repeat the formalin dip and dose the tank with copper today. Seems like I caught it earlier than last time so hopefully all goes well.
20201107_074055.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet and ich can sometimes be difficult to tell apart, especially on a mostly white fish (grin). Rapid breathing and heading into water currents would point more to velvet. Luckily, copper would be the treatment of choice either way. You'll want to use a good test kit and get the level ramped up within 24 hours.

Jay

OP
OP
CrabsHaveClaws

CrabsHaveClaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, the fish are three weeks into copper treatment and so far I haven't noticed any spots or laboured breathing. I am continually surprised by how hardy clownfish are, they looked terrible after the 2nd formalin dip and I was sure I would wake up to them dead next morning. I was nervous about getting the copper to theraputic levels in 24 hours but they seemed to handle that well. I was lucky that my LFS had a hanna copper checker and they tested my water for me. Thanks again @Jay Hemdal and everyone else, It was alot of hard work especially with an uncycled tank, but I'm really happy that both survived and are recovering well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%

Back