Is this Brooklynella?

nando248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My smaller clownfish has developed some pasty white blotchy areas around its skin. It's been very actively swimming out in the open in the current all day. Is he maybe stressed or is this Brooklynella? If it's Brooklynella, what's my timetable for getting this treated? Thanks in advance for any advice!

clownfish.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, that looks exactly like brooklynella to me, with a possible side effect of cryptocaryon or marine velvet. Are they swimming into current from powerheads often? Do they have elevated breathing? These can all be symptoms of brook. How long did it take to show up? If you added anything recently, it won’t take long for the clowns to become infected. If you have an open quarantine tank, you’ll want to move them, and start doing frequent freshwater dips to remove surface parasites. Treat with formalin baths or acriflavine. @Jay Hemdal should be able to help with diagnosis and treatment advice.

OP
OP
nando248

nando248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's pretty much what I feared. Ugh.

I freshwater dipped the little guy tonight after trying to net him for 30 min. I have a 30 gallon cube that's about two months old and these two were my first additions several weeks ago. I added a Watchman Goby and Royal Gramma after them. The Gramma has disappeared the past few days and I'm starting to realize he may be the culprit. As a newbie I'm starting to realize how difficult this hobby can be.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's pretty much what I feared. Ugh.

I freshwater dipped the little guy tonight after trying to net him for 30 min. I have a 30 gallon cube that's about two months old and these two were my first additions several weeks ago. I added a Watchman Goby and Royal Gramma after them. The Gramma has disappeared the past few days and I'm starting to realize he may be the culprit. As a newbie I'm starting to realize how difficult this hobby can be.
I learned about brook the hard way too when I started out. It’s all a learning experience.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My smaller clownfish has developed some pasty white blotchy areas around its skin. It's been very actively swimming out in the open in the current all day. Is he maybe stressed or is this Brooklynella? If it's Brooklynella, what's my timetable for getting this treated? Thanks in advance for any advice!

clownfish.png
At first glance, I thought Brooklynella, but looking longer, I can't rule out ich. Hopefully it isn't both at the same time.

How does the other clown look?
Do you have a treatment tank available to use?
Royal Gramma can also get Brook, is it still MIA?

A formalin dip, then moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing daily with formalin at 25 ppm is one possible treatment. If you don't have access to a treatment tank, there is a product called Ruby Reef Rally Pro that can be used as a dip. However, you said you chased the clown for 30 minutes - that is super stressful for both you and the fish, and you can't do that daily, it will take its toll.

Jay

OP
OP
nando248

nando248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small clown passed this morning so my top priority is to make sure my other two fish make it. I don't have a cycled QT so I'm going to hunt for the Ruby dip today.

To my amateur eyes, the other clown and goby are currently looking and acting normal but I've just learned bad things can happen fast. I'm going to assume my CUC got the gramma. It hasn't reappeared. A week ago, everything was looking so happy and healthy. Not a good way to end the week.

Back