Is this brown jelly disease on my frogspawn/ holes on the skeleton

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogspawn has been in my tank for a few months and was growing and opening up and looking healthy.

But for the last few weeks after changing my lighting it hasnt been opening up all the way and would close up at the peak intensity.

I thought it was acclimating to the lighting but yesterday i noticed holes in the skeleton. There were a couple small holes and a large chunk of skeleton missing from the side less observable in my tank.

Nothing couldve eaten the skeleton but i did notice hermit crabs constantly climbing on it and small white snails seem to be grazing on it.

Placement: the frogspawn started off in my sand bed and did exceptionally well but my clownfish kept knocking it over so i moved it to one of the highest points in my tank on the rockwork where it proceeded to have problems yesterday i moved it back the sand.

Water quality: i did have a spike in ammonia very briefly before having problems with the frog spawn.

Bjd: i noticed a brown ring around the bottom of the fleshy part of the coral which you can see in the picture below.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I dont see a picture on your post.

By the sound of things, seems like the holes in the skeleton are euphilliya eating flatworms.

Brownjelly wouldnt be responsible for the holes but from the stress of being eaten, brownjelly diesease could definitely be a result.

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The files were too big before. I havent seen any flukes but they could still be there.
Is anything known for eating the hard skeleton?

Could water quality even do this without being acidic enough to cause other noticeable damages in a reef?

What is the advisable route for someone in my position?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-132948_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-132948_Gallery.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_20220814-133003_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-133003_Gallery.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a api master kit so its not a very reliable source. But the nutrients in the tank were just barely detectable. My girlfriend threw away the chart for alkalinity but this is my first week dosing it since ive been having trouble with this frogspawn. My clam did slow down in shell growth so i assume i did have a temporary dip in calcium.

A few weeks ago a fake peppermint shrimp died in my sump and go stuck to the outpump without me realizing which caused a large amount of biofilm but all my soft corals seemed perfectly happy.

I quit doing water changes maybe a month and a half ago because im inbetween equipment and i didnt rely on it for nutient export just to reintroduce trace elements and minerals to the tank.

The toadstool and derasa clam in my tank look to be thriving and growing like usual the last week so im starting to think that its a pest unless the temporary influx in nutrients caused by the dead shrimp caused the damage and it is just starting to manifest itself as a coral disease.

Can anyone confirm of the brown at the base of the heads is bjd? The new growth skeleton has been showing more of itself where there used to be flesh.

Is there any dips that i should use for this?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be in bad shape.
I'd probably dip it and see if anything (pests) comes off.

BJD is usually treated with a round of antibiotics like cipro or similar.

Hope you can save it.

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this is not brown jelly. This is 99.99% a parameter issue. without proper test kits and knowing what youre sitting at for the following its going to be nearly impossible to diagnose the problem.
Alk
cal
mag
nitrate
phos
Salifert is what i use and recommend for alk cal mag, hanna meters for nitrate and phosphate.
this is just a very ticked off coral that will die if the cause isnt found, but it does not appear to be sickly in any way shape or form to me.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes in the skeleton often point to a calcium deficiency. You need to upgrade your tests from just using API. I'll tag in @vetteguy53081 the euphylia guru.

Your corals aren't doing fine and have receded quite a bit. The tissue has already lost quite a bit and are on the verge of bailout by the looks.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this is not brown jelly. This is 99.99% a parameter issue. without proper test kits and knowing what youre sitting at for the following its going to be nearly impossible to diagnose the problem.
Alk
cal
mag
nitrate
phos
Salifert is what i use and recommend for alk cal mag, hanna meters for nitrate and phosphate.
this is just a very ticked off coral that will die if the cause isnt found, but it does not appear to be sickly in any way shape or form to me.
This

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was keeping my alkalinity .27-28 but a a week ago i lowered it to .25 because that was always my goal number. Ill be uploading test results shortly

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and phosphate didn't get things to how they are. Most likely alkalinity swings and not knowing calcium and magnesium.

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me that things started going bad after you moved it from the bottom of your tank with low light to the top with Intense light. Every move in a reef should be slow to eliminate stress whether it is light Intensity, parameter changes or moving corals around in a tank, think of light intensity when moving coral up and down in the tank

Back