Is this chip my tank critical?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, this looks like a clamshell fracture on the outside of the tank; it is a shallow tank; and the chip is at the very top corner. Note these are only untrained observations from the pictures, not a professional assessment.

Clamshell fractures are not as likely to cause issues, as the panel is unlikely to crack and effectively it just makes the glass thinner at that point.
Due to the tank being shallow, overall pressures will be much lower than a deep tank, so glass thickness may already be stronger than needed.
Since the chip is at the top, the pressures are lowest where the concern is.

With these three factors, taken into account, I might consider using this tank as-is. That being said, I offer no guarantees and the safest route would be to get a new tank without a chip.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, this looks like a clamshell fracture on the outside of the tank; it is a shallow tank; and the chip is at the very top corner. Note these are only untrained observations from the pictures, not a professional assessment.

Clamshell fractures are not as likely to cause issues, as the panel is unlikely to crack and effectively it just makes the glass thinner at that point.
Due to the tank being shallow, overall pressures will be much lower than a deep tank, so glass thickness may already be stronger than needed.
Since the chip is at the top, the pressures are lowest where the concern is.

With these three factors, taken into account, I might consider using this tank as-is. That being said, I offer no guarantees and the safest route would be to get a new tank without a chip.
I agree with this.. what are the dimensions on the tank? it’s honestly in the best place possible lol

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure even a chip at an edge away from direct application of water pressure will affect the integrity of the entire slab.

The chip will change how stress is redistributed, and has a pretty high risk of turning into a crack.

I am also pretty sure that resins will resolve this. If you have a glass manufacturer/service in your area I would consult with them, and most likely haslve a professional apply the resin, for the simple fact that if the solution they provide can't handle the job, they will refuse to service it.

This is at least what my approach would be, I am absolutely horified of the idea of an aquarium crashing apart in my house.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why does nobody else think fix the chip with resin is a good idea? its such a simple fix.
it works on car windshield which take alot more wind pressure than that tiny chip at the top of a not deep tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why does nobody else think fix the chip with resin is a good idea? its such a simple fix.
it works on car windshield which take alot more wind pressure than that tiny chip at the top of a not deep tank.
Safelight repair, safelight replace was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw it haha! There’s nothing wrong with that at all! Idk if it even needs that honestly.. tank looks small and it’s thick glass 3/8 the best I can tell from the photos.. it def wouldn’t hurt thou!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I don't know anything about fixing glass with resin.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Car windshields do not deal with the same forces

There is also the contour of the windshield to reduce stress, the need for distributing stress is a very different application.

If a windshield is cracked near the edge, they will refuse to repair as that is there the stress on any point in the glass evenly distributes to with wind forces, and even with resin, the micro fracturing can still exist and be a poi t of splitting under stress.

It very well may work, but going by rhe standard of a company not wanting to do the job due to risk or possibility of failure, is the standard I would go eith for something that has the potential to destroy my home.

But it could work fine, it might even work fine not repairing it, but I would be too scared of it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The

There is also the contour of the windshield to reduce stress, the need for distributing stress is a very different application.

If a windshield is cracked near the edge, they will refuse to repair as that is there the stress on any point in the glass evenly distributes to with wind forces, and even with resin, the micro fracturing can still exist and be a poi t of splitting under stress.

It very well may work, but going by rhe standard of a company not wanting to do the job due to risk or possibility of failure, is the standard I would go eith for something that has the potential to destroy my home.

But it could work fine, it might even work fine not repairing it, but I would be too scared of it.
Theres honestly more force on a windshield than the corner of that tank will ever experience.. I have a structural back ground.. there very minimal pressure where that chip is at.. bottom corner a different story..

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The

Theres honestly more force on a windshield than the corner of that tank will ever experience.. I have a structural back ground.. there very minimal pressure where that chip is at.. bottom corner a different story..
I figured it would even distribute the stress on all boarders that touch glass.

And I can't imagine that whe. Accounting for the contour, which deflects, that it would be more force on a windshield.

But I am no where near an expert, so your answer is far more valid than mine.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yet you have never used resin to fix glass.? your sense of physics is incorrect.

sorrry but on that shallow tank there is way less stress than a windshield takes at 75MPH going down the highway.. the chip is at the top corner and it holds water now.. of course their is risk.. their is always a risk of a seam breaking on any glass tank, thats why i buy acrylic tanks.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, I think fixing the chip with resin is a good idea assuming the owner has the skills and source of materials to do such a repair. This is very different than a windshield crack/chip, since it is nearly impossible to get the side-loading needed on a windshield (unless maybe in a strange accident case?) to cause a clamshell chip. This is very different than a chip/crack from direct impact on the face of the glass, which very easily could propagate cracks through the pane.

In this particular case, due to the factors I previously mentioned, I just think the repair could be unnecessary, though an extra safe-guard and measure of peace-of-mind for sure!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yet you have never used resin to fix glass.? your sense of physics is incorrect.

sorrry but on that shallow tank there is way less stress than a windshield takes at 75MPH going down the highway.. the chip is at the top corner and it holds water now.. of course their is risk.. their is always a risk of a seam breaking on any glass tank, thats why i buy acrylic tanks.
Okay, I did look it up, and the assumption you are making on 75mph winds on the contour is not the same as the distributed weight of the water is a lot higher. Along with the pressure of the glass bowing, it is higher than the 60lbs of force that would crack a windshield.

I am no authority on this, but i did not deserve my sense of physics critiqued this way lol

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what" pressure of the glass bowing,"?, he said it curently holds water , where does he mention its bowing

you might want to read up on fluid dynamics, where is this pressure that you speak of coming from ?

1psi= 27.7 inches of water... therefore for 1 inch of water column = 1/28 psi.... that tank has what say 48 cubic inches of water in the top 1 inch of the water column so its really less than 2psi being exerted on the glass.
its not even close to 60 psi that it would take to crack a windshield. .

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Math is great and all, but is this what you want your focus on every time you enter the room? Risks aside, you will thank yourself later for replacing this when you have the chance.

Not to mention, we have a newer Subaru at Safelite right now for a windshield that cracks overnight. Small impact, then temperature change = 18" crack in the morning. It's the weirdest. Maybe Im jaded lol.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to euro brace it is a good idea
Take some measurements go to glass shop and have some pieces cut. Silly cone them in.

Back