Is this considered live rock or dry love rock or what?

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I picked up close to 30lbs of rock off marketplace and wondering how I should prepare it for my tank. It was in there DT over a month ago and has been sitting in a dry bucket in their garage for the last month. I have inspected it and the only thing I see is what looks to be feather duster shells? Not sure what they're called.

Anyways, should the rock sit in hot water and bleach for two days, then rinsed for two? If the rocks have been outside of their tank for so long would I be alright to just aquascape with them then run a full long cure/cycle in my dt? Any more.info or tips would be great as I've only ever used dry rock/life rock before.

PXL_20210101_191304815.jpg

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use bleach. If you're worried something might still be alive after being dry for a month, let it soak for a few days in fresh water. Then clean the rock off as best as you can. Remove anything you can see.

Honestly if it was in someone elses sump and you want to play it safe, I would put the rock in another container that isn't your DT and let it soak in fresh salt water with a power head for a week or two. Change out the water often. Just to be sure whatever chemicals/medication/whatever they had in their water has a chance to leech out before it goes into your main display.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back