Is This Coral "Collection" Worth Buying?

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Someone local to me and new to aquariums set up a reef tank about three months ago. They said they got in way over their head so they are selling off the entire setup. They will only sell the corals as a group, but I'm only interested in a few. I will have to find homes for the other pieces. I rarely buy coral from vendors online, so I don't know what this stuff is worth and what I should pay. Can anyone give me advice on what would be a good price to purchase these at? They are asking $650 for the lot.

Frags from World Wide Corals:
- Honeycomb Leptastrea
- (2) Purple Scroll Turbinaria
- Tyree Open War Coral
- Blue Polyp Montipora
- Jason Fox Sector 001 Favites
- Mystic Grape Favia
- (2) TG Watermelon Psammocora
- Toxic Glow Monti
- Teal Ring Aussie Lord
- Neon Duncan
- Regular Duncan
- Red Montipora Cap
- Bright Sunny Day Goniopora
- Green Bay Packer Zoanthids
- Skull Crusher Favia
- Radioactive Branching Hammer (2
heads)

Other Corals:
- Bi-color hammer (3 heads)
- Regular Frogspawn (1 head)
- Black/Green Tip Torch (4 heads)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to give you advice without pictures

But! People who quit the hobby 99.9% of the time OVERVALUE what they actually have.

In their mind for every $1 they spent, they want $1 in return. Nope....you don't get out of the hobby that easy.

As a buyer you're in the driver's seat. It's a veeeeeeery limited market this Seller can sell to.

If you like the corals, stick to your guns. Offer him 50% of what he's asking.

In this case, offer him $300 cash. He'll say no and go on and on about how much he spent on each piece....(blah blah blah)

WHO CARES WHAT HE SPENT....his problem. He ain't getting a 100% return on his money.

....but tell him to call you if he changes his mind. 75% if the time he'll call you in 10 days wanting to renegotiate.

Again, never never never pay a $1 match for match what he bought it for.

If he wants O U T, he's gonna have to take a LOSS

View Badges
Impossible to give you advice without pictures

But! People who quit the hobby 99.9% of the time OVERVALUE what they actually have.

In their mind for every $1 they spent, they want $1 in return. Nope....you don't get out of the hobby that easy.

As a buyer you're in the driver's seat. It's a veeeeeeery limited market this Seller can sell to.

If you like the corals, stick to your guns. Offer him 50% of what he's asking.

In this case, offer him $300 cash. He'll say no and go on and on about how much he spent on each piece....(blah blah blah)

WHO CARES WHAT HE SPENT....his problem. He ain't getting a 100% return on his money.

....but tell him to call you if he changes his mind. 75% if the time he'll call you in 10 days wanting to renegotiate.

Again, never never never pay a $1 match for match what he bought it for.

If he wants O U T, he's gonna have to take a LOSS

I think that’s everything. I 100% agree with you, and reefing is on the higher end of that. But you see it in all the high turn over hobbies. Or even just houses and cars etc.

Everyone thinks their used stuff is new, or super valuable.

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone local to me and new to aquariums set up a reef tank about three months ago. They said they got in way over their head so they are selling off the entire setup. They will only sell the corals as a group, but I'm only interested in a few. I will have to find homes for the other pieces. I rarely buy coral from vendors online, so I don't know what this stuff is worth and what I should pay. Can anyone give me advice on what would be a good price to purchase these at? They are asking $650 for the lot.

- Honeycomb Leptastrea
- Tyree Open War Coral
- Blue Polyp Montipora
- Mystic Grape Favia
- Toxic Glow Monti
- Teal Ring Aussie Lord
- Neon Duncan
- Regular Duncan
- Red Montipora Cap
- Skull Crusher Favia
heads)

Other Corals:
I wouldn't... but that's up to you. To me it seems overvalued especially considering u r buying them all together if you do buy them. Also they are not a lfs or something so you don't know what condition they are in

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

- Honeycomb Leptastrea
- Tyree Open War Coral
- Blue Polyp Montipora
- Mystic Grape Favia
- Toxic Glow Monti
- Teal Ring Aussie Lord
- Neon Duncan
- Regular Duncan
- Red Montipora Cap
- Skull Crusher Favia
heads)

Other Corals:

I doubt it. Some of those corals are pretty cheap. I just bought the purple scroll for under 20.00.
The goni I never heard of and not sure it is a thing. I was at a frag swap and the guy selling his stuff, everything was a new release lol. Anyway you are buying from a person which should be cheaper in most cases.

Just google search them and write them down.

I did a few and you might do better these were the first that came up in search:
Honeycomb Leptastrea 59.00 eBay.
Purple Scroll Turbinaria 39.00 WWC
Tyree Open War Coral 45.00 Aquarium specialty.
Blue Polyp Montipora 54.00 LA
Jason Fox Sector 001 Favites 89.00 JF
Mystic Grape Favia 75.00 WWC

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will look up prices online and compare. I just didn't know if some of these were common in local areas and people could compare what private sellers charge compared to online vendors. I will do some research and send them a lower offer most likely. Thanks again!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen them in person? I pretty easy for a new person to kill a lot of corals in 3 months when they are in over their head. Pictures can be from when they were just received.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen them in person? I pretty easy for a new person to kill a lot of corals in 3 months when they are in over their head. Pictures can be from when they were just received.
This is a very good point!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @WVNed said.... Make sure you go see the tank setup or at least get a live video stream before you buy anything. You want to make sure everything is healthy!!

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everything said above. Plus, size of the corals/frags obviously matters (besides the mentioned head counts on the Lps). That same honeycomb leptastrea I got from wwc a couple weeks ago, 2” frag for $16 on their R2R after sale.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any price from WWC divide it by three and that's what someone in the hobby would sell it to you for in the maximum range. If you really want what's on that list I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred bucks and would be weary of putting them into your tank at all if the owner didn't know what they were doing

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back