Is this cyano part of the ugly stage?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which instructions do I follow? The one that says once a week?
Start off with weekly, microbacter 7 loves to eat nitrate / ammonia so make sure you have detectable nitrates when dosing else it will starve itself out and potentially bottom out nutrients leading to Dino’s, patience is key! I think bacterial diversity is the most important part , look/ ask local reefers / lfs for some rock rubble from established tanks it really helps

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start off with weekly, microbacter 7 loves to eat nitrate / ammonia so make sure you have detectable nitrates when dosing else it will starve itself out and potentially bottom out nutrients leading to Dino’s, patience is key! I think bacterial diversity is the most important part , look/ ask local reefers / lfs for some rock rubble from established tanks it really helps
So you're suggesting I should add some more live rock to my tank?

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is adding copepods a good idea or not? And where would I keep the rock rubble? In my sump?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're suggesting I should add some more live rock to my tank?
well yes lol live rock from the ocean - gulfliverock.com but if you don’t want that just ask lfs or reefers for some rock rubble or sand from established tanks to help

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution against adding too many inverts too quickly. There's not a lot of fish waste in that water to fuel the life necessary to feed them. With your rocks and sand being so clean they will be limited on good spots to graze and scavenge. Some may starve.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution against adding too many inverts too quickly. There's not a lot of fish waste in that water to fuel the life necessary to feed them. With your rocks and sand being so clean they will be limited on good spots to graze and scavenge. Some may starve.
Yeah I have 8 snails. 2 conches. 10 hermits and an emerald crab. Whatever the fish don't eat, they do. Also, I am going to give them nori on the seaweed clip once ir twice a week. I've had them for awhile and haven't needed to supplement feedings. They're all alive and I do have green algae growing on my glass which the snails enjoy. But yes thank you for the info.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 8 snails. 2 conches. 10 hermits and an emerald crab. Whatever the fish don't eat, they do. Also, I am going to give them nori on the seaweed clip once ir twice a week. I've had them for awhile and haven't needed to supplement feedings. They're all alive and I do have green algae growing on my glass which the snails enjoy. But yes thank you for the info.
Sorry if I sounded patronizing, that wasn't my intent. There are so many weird factors to consider in this hobby so I shared the info based on a lesson I learned the hard way.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I sounded patronizing, that wasn't my intent. There are so many weird factors to consider in this hobby so I shared the info based on a lesson I learned the hard way.
Yeah I have no clue on what I'm doing. Just doing my research and asking for help. Thank you so much I appreciate any advice.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back