Is this cyano??

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this pop up overnight, and it seems to be getting worse.
20171203_080147.jpg

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend at this point? It isnt growing on the coral it blows right off. It is red and stringy. Mainly on sand and the birdsnest. I have increased flow in hopes of elimination, and cut lights back.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding ? Any changes from before it happend?

Vibrant , mb7, carbon dosing, aminos , new gfo?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend at this point? It isnt growing on the coral it blows right off. It is red and stringy. Mainly on sand and the birdsnest. I have increased flow in hopes of elimination, and cut lights back.
Can you get a pic of the sandbed?
I recommend a $15-$20 microscope and looking at the first post in this thread. The thread itself is about dino's but there's a link in that first post that can help with identification.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have done was ramp up the lighting and flow recently. I will get one of the sand bed. The coral looks alive to me, it has always looked like that. It had a few dead branches that I trimmed. A ponape birds nest.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If that coral is alive, it looks extremely pale and bleaching. Classic sign of not enough nutrients. What is your nitrate and phosphate at? Was dead rock used to start the tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only blue+ bulbs on in photo.
A white pic of that and perhaps a wider shot with more of the effected areas might help.

Did you ramp up intensity only or did you increase a color a well ?

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic is after 30 minutes lights on. Ponape purple towards tips and yellowish towards center. That is what caught my eye!! It is the most affected. I am thinking dinos as well. I am going 72 blackout and h202 dosing unless you recommend otherwise. So sad, I started tank with dry rock cured for 6 months trying to not get to this point!!!!

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A white pic of that and perhaps a wider shot with more of the effected areas might help.

Did you ramp up intensity only or did you increase a color a well ?
I did ramp up in sorts. I brought on new bulbs also. DOH!! Although I must have had the problem all along just hadn't noticed!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did ramp up in sorts. I brought on new bulbs also. DOH!! Although I must have had the problem all along just hadn't noticed!!
Not a problem reallly, just a possible bloom. Really fascnriing thing IMO.

Quite likely that the organism will bloom, use up the other resources it needs , Po4 on the rock, silicate , whatever , and go away.

But good practice and science would say keep cleaning it up so it doesn't gain a foot hold , look for foods that it may like , carbon sources aminos etc, and maybe gently bump the ph with kalk. So normal husbandry really.

The ph is if for most types of organisms is to pull he co2 out it may want for photosysntes , and it disrupts the cells in some of them.
Still re re re reading Randy's article on dino and also evident in older bryopsis articles.
Also maybof these things actually create a bit of extra co2.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem reallly, just a possible bloom. Really fascnriing thing IMO.

Quite likely that the organism will bloom, use up the other resources it needs , Po4 on the rock, silicate , whatever , and go away.

But good practice and science would say keep cleaning it up so it doesn't gain a foot hold , look for foods that it may like , carbon sources aminos etc, and maybe gently bump the ph with kalk. So normal husbandry really.

The ph is if for most types of organisms is to pull he co2 out it may want for photosysntes , and it disrupts the cells in some of them.
Still re re re reading Randy's article on dino and also evident in older bryopsis articles.
Also maybof these things actually create a bit of extra co2.
Thank you. I really planned this tank for a year. I have an AWC setup that changes 2 gallons a day on little shy of 200 gallons. I think my flow has been lacking, and I know my syphoning of sandbed has been. I have been acclimating acros to light for a few months. It is time to get to it!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Dana riddles dino id thread.
He added a blue led strip and got a bloom of a something. Just fascinating that the simple addition of one tiny thing would spur a bloom of something we all have in our tanks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back