Is this cyano?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to deal with this nuisance algae for a while now. It’s getting a bit frustrating. Looking for a positive ID and any suggestions. I’ve tried increasing my WC frequency, reducing feeding, increasing skimmer speed on DC pump, changed my gfo, changed my gac, vacuumed the algae out daily for a while, vacuumed the sandbed thoroughly, and even added some bacto balls that I got as a free sample.

48F9D38E-643C-4C2B-9FF0-D42316EC474A.jpeg

F624727B-A693-40E4-8012-0070D59D2CFB.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what I didn’t want :mad:

Ordered a scope to ID and start fighting the good fight
What kind of light are you using?:)

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise, my lights are on for quite some time (12 hours). My phosphates are at .04 and my nitrates are undetectable on my API test kit. I run a RO 150 SSS and have a decent size fuge on my tank. I’m hoping to get a positive ID when my scope arrives Monday. That’ll determine my course of action. I’ve always fed heavily and have a decent bio load for my tank.

JARJOR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm doing...Bring up your Phosphate slowly to .10 ppm and Nitrate up to 5 ppm; also dose beneficial nitrifying bacteria. It will help normal algae to out compete the Dino. Once you identify it, it will help a great deal. In my case, it pretty much requires a UV sterilizer which I just can't afford right now so just maintaining it until I can. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back