is this cyano?

merlinsmagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just showed up thought it was coraline because of the color the purpleish stuff., But its on the sand as well.
20g.jpg

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be it. I would say it is. I've had luck with red slime remover but you have to do it per instructions. You might need more flow and if you don't mind what are your parameters? Probably something is off there as well. How old is the tank?

OP
OP
M

merlinsmagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank was set up may of this year,
ph 7.8 salinity/sg 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrates under 20, nitrites 2, cal 440, alk 300+ I have added new coral after dipping in coral revive, maybe that stuff doesnt kill cyano and it came in that way? All i know is that it is bugging some of my zoas that are on the sand bed.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be it. I would say it is.
You might need more flow
How old is the tank?

+1, just read an article that cucumbers eat cyano and diatoms.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/inverts

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/inverts

tank was set up may of this year,
ph 7.8 salinity/sg 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrates under 20, nitrites 2, cal 440, alk 300+ I have added new coral after dipping in coral revive, maybe that stuff doesnt kill cyano and it came in that way? All i know is that it is bugging some of my zoas that are on the sand bed.

Has pH always been 7.8?
For a 7 month tank I'd expect to see 0ppm nitrites
Alk 300+ ppm? What are you testing with? How old is the kit?
What's your po4?
In the meantime you can scoop it out so that your Zs will live...or move your Zs.

What's your nutrient export consist of? Macros? Mechanical.

Better yet, got a pic or two of your system?

Last edited:

jbannick18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small enough system that you could do big water changes over the course of the month. Most likely will have to run some sort of GFO to reduce your phosophates as other posters have said.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out as much of it as you can, without disturbing it from floating around..
You can do lights out for 3 days to help fight it off.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, just read an article that cucumbers eat cyano and diatoms.

Aquarium Invertebrates: Sea Cucumbers - Part II — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Aquarium Invertebrates: Sea Apples — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Has pH always been 7.8?
For a 7 month tank I'd expect to see 0ppm nitrites
Alk 300+ ppm? What are you testing with? How old is the kit?
What's your po4?
In the meantime you can scoop it out so that your Zs will live...or move your Zs.

What's your nutrient export consist of? Macros? Mechanical.

Better yet, got a pic or two of your system?

I guess it's a hit or miss with those guys. Either way you have to get to the root of it. +1 on the nitrites. They should always be at 0. Maybe it's not even the Cyano disturbing the Zs. Nitrite is toxic. Take care of that to start of with. Large water changes and run some carbon or gfo. It could still techinicaly be considered a new tank and could even be hitting some cycle points. And yes what are you testing with? and age?

Just Jared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank looked like that when i used filtered tap. What kind of water are you using?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me

Kill the lights and stop adding food and it should die of in less then a week. After that continue with less lighting and feeding untill you find the combination that allows the corraline, macros, and corals thrive but the cyano doesn't come back.

my .02

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cyano...

It will go away in the dark and simply return when the light come back on so killing the lights really won't help anything. Red slime remover is an antibiotic - might kill the cyano - but wont fix anything really.

Siphon out as much as possible - take the substrate its attached to with it - bleach and return the substrate if you want, but I wouldn't return the substrate until I got the cyano issue solved.

The root of your problem is a build up of organics - so the solution is removing excess organics. The look of the tank and your ph suggests low O2 - a skimmer would help by increasing dissolved O2 (which will help keep the ph up) and remove some of the excess organics. Your flow also looks too low, especially down near the sand bed.

Once the PH/O2/excess organics are addressed then adding GFO will make sense. GFO by itself, before you address the bigger problem won't help. If your nitrates are really 20 - then that's not too bad, but FYI - if you don't shake the test vials vigorously, the test kits may grossly under report the actual nitrate level. You might know this - but I didn't when I first started - thought I had 20 when I really had 100+.

If you already have a skimmer - then you might want to add an oxidizer - old school would be potassium permanganate - H2O2 - or something like chemi-clean, but again - get the flow up first - and don't run an oxidizer without a skimmer.

my 2 cents -

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back