Is this dead Coraline??

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, last few days I've been seeing some white stuff on my live rock.. I've done some research and from what I've read this is dead Coraline, which can be caused my lack of light or due to changes to calcium and MG.. Last month I've been dosing nitraphos for nitrates and I lost all my fish due to ich, so the tank runs without fish for about 2 weeks almost.. Also I am running skimmer but I have my lights off so could the light be an issue for the Coraline or could my short spine urchin eat the Coraline?

Parameters are :
Nitrates close to 25
Phosphates at 1
And salinity at 1.020
(i don't have any other test)
IMG_20201025_130526.jpg
IMG_20201025_130517.jpg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It could be. When coralline dies off, you'll see the white rock underneath again.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an urchin that's what it can look like after it makes a pass. They eat everything down to the white rock. Nothing to worry about imo

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The
If you have an urchin that's what it can look like after it makes a pass. They eat everything down to the white rock. Nothing to worry about imo
i want the coraline to grow and expand though..but my urching only passed from the first picture..he hasn't gone near the second picture..so this could be because of lack of lighting?

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be. When coralline dies off, you'll see the white rock underneath again.
yeah but i want to grow coraline so i need to know the reason it died..as mentioned some parts has been eaten by my urchin but not all of it

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's going to definitely be inhibited in growth because you have a urchin in the tank. I have a tuxedo and it loves coraline, I think that's the same for all of them.

Make sure your calcium is testing over 400, I'm pretty sure strontium also helps with coraline growth.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back