Is this Diatom Algae?

OldMark81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I know there's a lot of posts about Diatom algae out here, but I'm not too sure if this is what I'm dealing with.

The tank is about 6 months old and the rock and sand started turning brown about 3 weeks ago. I've done a some research but people have a lot of mixed opinions on how to fix this issue, if it is Diatom Algea. I've posted a few times here in the past and got great advice, so I figured I'd see what you all have to say about it.

The rock is mostly covered in a lighter brown color with darker brown being mostly closest to the light. There are 2 spots that are very noticeable and a few spots that aren't, that have turned bright green.
In the pictures, the sand doesn't look nearly as bad as it was because I removed the top layer off of it a couple of days ago. If you look at the picture with my Zoa in it, the brown in front of my coral was covering the entire sand bed. Aslo seen in the picture is the color of the front glass, it too has some brown growing on it.

I would love to clean this up the best way possible but I don't want to affect the other life in the tank while doing so. There are 5 clownfish, a spotted mandarin in it, as well as 2 Zoas and a pulsing xenia.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.
20200901_093640.jpg
20200901_093558.jpg
20200901_093554.jpg
20200901_093549.jpg
20200901_093540.jpg
20200901_093505.jpg

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely some diatoms. No need to worry about it, just let it pass.

I never had much of a clean up crew (4 hermits, 3 nass. snails in a 95g). If you're looking for something to move your sand around I would get a pistol shrimp and pair it with a goby (very cool symbiotic relationship).

What are you feeding your little dragonet? Sorry for the off topics questions but just wanted to offer suggestions to fatten up the mandy if it has a sunken belly!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the beginnings of diatoms to me(brown speckling on the sandbed), with the start of some green cyano too.

EDIT:
Just noticed the 4 clowns...... Might want to consider rehoming 2 of them as they may end up dead.

OP
OP
O

OldMark81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely some diatoms. No need to worry about it, just let it pass.

I never had much of a clean up crew (4 hermits, 3 nass. snails in a 95g). If you're looking for something to move your sand around I would get a pistol shrimp and pair it with a goby (very cool symbiotic relationship).

What are you feeding your little dragonet? Sorry for the off topics questions but just wanted to offer suggestions to fatten up the mandy if it has a sunken belly!

At the moment I'm still trying to train it to eat brine shrimp soaked in selcon. But at the moment hes living off my tigger pods. I'd love some other ideas if you have.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I'm still trying to train it to eat brine shrimp soaked in selcon. But at the moment hes living off my tigger pods. I'd love some other ideas if you have.

I recommend setting up a baby brine shrimp culture and adding them 2-3 times a day in the tank. You can google Paul B’s BBS feeder. It helps my mandys stay fat and healthy! It also helps the copepods repopulate in the meantime.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I know there's a lot of posts about Diatom algae out here, but I'm not too sure if this is what I'm dealing with.

The tank is about 6 months old and the rock and sand started turning brown about 3 weeks ago. I've done a some research but people have a lot of mixed opinions on how to fix this issue, if it is Diatom Algea. I've posted a few times here in the past and got great advice, so I figured I'd see what you all have to say about it.

The rock is mostly covered in a lighter brown color with darker brown being mostly closest to the light. There are 2 spots that are very noticeable and a few spots that aren't, that have turned bright green.
In the pictures, the sand doesn't look nearly as bad as it was because I removed the top layer off of it a couple of days ago. If you look at the picture with my Zoa in it, the brown in front of my coral was covering the entire sand bed. Aslo seen in the picture is the color of the front glass, it too has some brown growing on it.

I would love to clean this up the best way possible but I don't want to affect the other life in the tank while doing so. There are 5 clownfish, a spotted mandarin in it, as well as 2 Zoas and a pulsing xenia.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.
20200901_093640.jpg
20200901_093558.jpg
20200901_093554.jpg
20200901_093549.jpg
20200901_093540.jpg
20200901_093505.jpg
The tank looks brand new. How old is it? Diatoms are usually a sign that the tank is in its final stage of cycling. What size is the tank? Cuz bigger tanks usually take more time to cycle than smaller tanks (i have a 20g nano if u want to check it out.) Its a pretty basic algae that all tanks get, so you dont really need to do anything about it.
Btw i love the mando. Dragonets are my favorite fish but i have a small tank so mandos arent the best choice. I am going to add a ruby red dragonet tho ;)

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to purchase an inexpensive microscope for the future. Some dinoflagellates look like diatoms to the naked eye.

Back