Is this Dino?

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am seeing this algae in my reef tank and hesitant to treat with the red slime removal... for one, it is a royal pain to deal with the skimmer :) as I am reading more about dino vs cyano, this almost looks like Dino to me as many of the articles seem to say that dino has small bubbles on it (see pics attached). Another reason I think it maybe Dino is that my system is low nutrient, .04 PO4 and around 5 NO3. I was going to give DinoX a try and was curious if anyone has used this product successfully and experienced any negative impact on corals. In addition, I am concerned about skimmer going nuts!

Thanks

20221115_190130.jpg 20221115_190134.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi. I am seeing this algae in my reef tank and hesitant to treat with the red slime removal... for one, it is a royal pain to deal with the skimmer :) as I am reading more about dino vs cyano, this almost looks like Dino to me as many of the articles seem to say that dino has small bubbles on it (see pics attached). Another reason I think it maybe Dino is that my system is low nutrient, .04 PO4 and around 5 NO3. I was going to give DinoX a try and was curious if anyone has used this product successfully and experienced any negative impact on corals. In addition, I am concerned about skimmer going nuts!

Thanks

20221115_190130.jpg 20221115_190134.jpg
Its cyano bacteria and likely your phosphate and nitrate levels are elevated. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Back