Is this Dinos or Algea? New Reefer

Bloveee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having this problem with this brown stuff. It gets on my glass, heater amd rocks. It gets long and hairy in some spots on the rock and it bunches up on the glass. I literally spent a hour cleaning the glass and rocks last night. And within 12 hours it's back! I can't seem to get ahead. What is is?!

parameters:
nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.4
Salinity 1.026
That's all the test I have so far. I am getting a phosphate tomorrow
20210504_193646.jpg
20210504_193654.jpg
20210503_164853.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Dino. Sorry. Phosphate will be 0, too. There is a mile long threat in case you can’t sleep. Microscope would help to identify. Different approaches to it. Ask 2 people get 3 answers. My experience? If it’s toxic Dino’s your snails die first. Absorb with activated carbon. UV sterilizer is helping a lot particularly the ones that detach at nighttime. I feed heavy, dose nitrates and phosphate and eventually they are out crowded but may well return if the tank has an issue. Last reoccurrence I had when my heater shorted and electrified the water.
Others may recommend tank blackout (did not give lasting results to me), peroxide (same), vibrant(maybe), bacterial dosing(maybe in my humble opinion).

OP
OP
Bloveee

Bloveee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…forgot…,Wellcome to this here hang out! Cute Duck on your avatar!
Thank you for helping out! Her name is Hazel, she's new to the family lol. I am moving friday so everything will be out. Probably best to get another bottle of turbo start, new sand, order new rock and clean the hell out of everything? They grow at night in my room, so I don't think black out would work. I don't have the money for the uv system. With me moving its a good opportunity to take advantage of everything being out I guess

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wellcome Hazel! I think we have quite a few tankownqrs with birds (me too). Sadly the odds are that the remaining Dino’s will just repopulate. They are really fast in such, as you have seen trying to remove them. UV green killing machine goes for 100US, bulb lasts a year. As noted, MY mainstay is to keep Phospate and nitrate above 0 (0.03Hanna/ 5 ). Peroxide is from Walmart, 3%, 1$, I dose 5 cc in the evenings in my 150g. My last outbreak from February has now (April) resolved again, but balance maintains an issue. With more nutrients come algae and cyanobacter.
Reminds me, I had a crash with Dinos, killed 2/3 of SPS all inverts and 1/3 of fish. All survivors went into quarantine tank, and I nuked the rock with bleach.. guess what came back! My beloved Dinos. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Bloveee

Bloveee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wellcome Hazel! I think we have quite a few tankownqrs with birds (me too). Sadly the odds are that the remaining Dino’s will just repopulate. They are really fast in such, as you have seen trying to remove them. UV green killing machine goes for 100US, bulb lasts a year. As noted, MY mainstay is to keep Phospate and nitrate above 0 (0.03Hanna/ 5 ). Peroxide is from Walmart, 3%, 1$, I dose 5 cc in the evenings in my 150g. My last outbreak from February has now (April) resolved again, but balance maintains an issue. With more nutrients come algae and cyanobacter.
Reminds me, I had a crash with Dinos, killed 2/3 of SPS all inverts and 1/3 of fish. All survivors went into quarantine tank, and I nuked the rock with bleach.. guess what came back! My beloved Dinos. Best of luck!
My plan was to soak my rock and sand in freshwater while I move and bleach clean the tank while it's empty. I may look into bleaching the rock. I'll Google the ratios of the bleach and peroxide. Good thing is I don't have much in there right now. I hope you have a good rest of your week! :)

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is a bit, that if you restart, you kill all life on the rock. So that gives a nitrate spike on restart. It’s possible but a commitment of sort. Container of und enter bleach in the container with rocks, fill up with water. I left this for 1 week and afterwards rinse and dry to the bone outside in 2 weeks. There is some faster protocol somewhere.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back