Is this Dinos?

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
931D4834-900A-4F96-9B40-E966D3F872A2.jpeg
BFDFCDA2-1D87-4789-9E88-3A68DC1BAC5A.jpeg

Cleaner shrimp just died today and this algae was on his feelers, can I get an ID on what this could be?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what type and how to get rid of them?
Any idea what type and how to get rid of them?
Hair algae. Comes in all colors. Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae. Comes in all colors. Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.
I dont think its hair algae bc it started to grow on my cleaner shrimp and he ended up dying today

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Can’t be sure a lot of algae does that. Dinos will usually be covered in air bubbles tooo.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is DEFINITELY dinos. I've battled them 3 times...I know exactly what they look like. That is not cyano and that is not hair algae.

You can find helpful information here:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def hair algae. Gen term. Could be dinos or cyano. The latter being a bacteria which could kill organisms in your tank.

Dude hair algae is not a generic term for dinoflagellates or cyanobacteria. And his picture does not resemble hair algae of any shape or form. It is rather likely to be dinoflagellates but he really needs to look at it under a microscope to at least know which strain of it he has.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is DEFINITELY dinos. I've battled them 3 times...I know exactly what they look like. That is not cyano and that is not hair algae.

You can find helpful information here:

Do I really need a microscope but i dont really understand how to fight them do I just need to get another algae to outcompete them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its dino- Not algae
Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Its dino- Not algae
Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.

It’s not Dino’s because his tank is only a few weeks old. Dinos is a problem in mature low nutrient tanks.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its dino- Not algae
What is “liquid bacteria” and also would I just clean my filters with distilled water everyday? My tank is also 4 months is that too young to get dinos?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back