Is this doable or am I just insane?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have always wanted an Imperator Angel. The situation is this;
I have a 4’x2’x2’ tank and a 3’x16”x1’ tank. The imperator will eventually go into the 4’ tank if it’s not possible to do so instantly. The 4’ has been running for around 2.5 years now and as you can see, very leather and softie heavy. There are certain coral I already can’t own due to the fish in there being heavily RSWC. Corals are a love for me but I have my SPS in a separate tank and this tank is heavily Softie/LPS mixed. I already can’t keep zoas or palys due to one of the fish in there so they’re not a HUGE want for me anyway.

In my 4’ tank I have;
- 1x Halichoeres chloropterus
- 1x Halichoeres iridis *Most likely to show aggression
- 1x Parachelinus species (Hybrid)
- 1x Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- 2x Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
- 1x Ctenochaetus binotatus *Least likely to show aggression
- 1x Genicanthus melanospilos
- 1x Chelmon rostratum
- 1x Siganus magnificus
- 1x Escenius lineatus
- 1x Cryptocentrus cinctus
- 1x Amphiprion occelaris x percula
To add to the list I’ve seen a beautiful 1 inch specimen of Pomacanthus imperator now, I’m aware that they may max out around 1’ (Or larger - I personally don’t think any imperator will get 16”+ unless bought around that size). I know long term my tank will not suffice - If I cannot get a 5’-6’ tank then I will trade him into the LFS. If I need a larger specimen to introduce into this 4’ tank then I will use my 3’ to try grow him to Atleast 2 inches. In my 3’ tank I have;
- 1x Macropharyngodon bipartitus
- 1x Gobiodon acicularis
-
3x Pseudocheilinops ataenia
-
1x Discordipinna griessingeri
- 1x Stonogobiops yasha

What I want to know is;
- How fast do imperators actually grow (I would rather hear replies from people that own this species but all opinions will be taken into account)
- Is it doable
And finally… am I just insane or would you do it - If so, who would you be most worried about with aggression and how would you introduce the imperator without an acclimation box.

An FTS of the 4’ tank.
01163B6B-0AE3-4A72-8571-9BBD81733A4B.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a great looking tank
you should just make a deal with lfs before purchase, cause the, they may even be able to get you another small one cheap to replace it.
The plan is that if we can’t get a 5-6’ tank for the emperor then yes we will trade it in - I know of two LFSs that will probably take him in (One is the one he is at).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6' tank is even pushing it for a Imperator Angel and they don't take too kindly to be crowded. I've kept Imperators in lightly stocked 6' tanks with aggressive triggers and the like, they always became the king. Many hobbyist I talk to with Imperators say they are the king of their tanks, and as an adult can be very aggressive, especially in a small tank. You could likely be ok with a juvenile for a couple of years, and the Imperator is a good rehome fish. Don't always take the lfs on their word that they will take a fish back when it outgrows a tank, but the Imperator is a safe bet.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to know is;
- How fast do imperators actually grow (I would rather hear replies from people that own this species but all opinions will be taken into account)
- Is it doable
And finally… am I just insane or would you do it - If so, who would you be most worried about with aggression and how would you introduce the imperator without an acclimation box.
I don't own an emperor angel (nor will I) but fwiw, a study by Norman Woo showed these results (age group is in years):

1664078441545.png

I personally think an emperor in a 4' tank is not a great idea and as @lion king mentioned, an adult in a 6' tank is also not advisable.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6' tank is even pushing it for a Imperator Angel and they don't take too kindly to be crowded. I've kept Imperators in lightly stocked 6' tanks with aggressive triggers and the like, they always became the king. Many hobbyist I talk to with Imperators say they are the king of their tanks, and as an adult can be very aggressive, especially in a small tank. You could likely be ok with a juvenile for a couple of years, and the Imperator is a good rehome fish. Don't always take the lfs on their word that they will take a fish back when it outgrows a tank, but the Imperator is a safe bet.
I don't own an emperor angel (nor will I) but fwiw, a study by Norman Woo showed these results (age group is in years):

1664078441545.png

I personally think an emperor in a 4' tank is not a great idea and as @lion king mentioned, an adult in a 6' tank is also not advisable.
I figured this would be the main result, I may do the juvenile just for a couple years if it took a 1 inch specimen a year to get 2 inches their growth rate is slow by the looks of it (I also don’t plan on keeping the imperator long term).
As for the LFSs, both are highly trustworthy. I know it’s not the best call in the US but over here it seems the LFSs tend to be better with their care and are much more trustworthy.

Can you guys think of an Angel that would do better that changes colour drastically? I’ve been looking into Pomacanthus xanthometopon and Pomacanthus navarchus. I prefer the Xanthometopon and it seems they have a slower growth rate than the imperator. I’m not really into the dwarf angels for this tank and would rather try and keep them to the medium/larger angels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of the large angels will do well. Any near the point of change will have already outgrown your tank.
I may just ditch the idea of the Imperator then. But I’ve also heard mixed experiences of when the angels transition. Do you think it would work temporarily at all?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take that back as the majestic angel does change at a small size, ime it's been a very rare occasion that I've seen them in juvenile form. All the larger angels I can think of, at transition size, would really require a 6' tank minimum. You could keep some juveniles but I doubt you would make it to full transition before they became too aggressive being in too small of tank, Fish with also wither away being confined in too small of a tank, and large angels especially so, they'll just stop eating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Insane. We are all insane for getting into this hobby but we always figure things out.
Six foot tank with a depth of two feet is ideal but as long as Not long term, you can house it in 4 foot tank however a transistioning to adult emperor would do best and obviously not long term. Idea is to maintain both water quality and good diet. Majestic is better bet although they can be tempermental. Mine wasnt bad but was getting an attitude towards other occupants

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Imperator is the “Co-king” of my tank. I had an 18” blue and yellow cod that co ruled with him until i walk into my living room one day to see across the room my grouper holding the emperor in its mouth like a dog to a frisbee. unless youve got monsters in your tank the emperor will be the king:face-with-tears-of-joy:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back