Is this Duncan being eaten or just receding?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are photos of my duncan coral. I’ve had him for about 5 months and he’s weathered many storms in the tank.

AFTER adding an emerald crab I began seeing this tissue loss. I thought it was from a nutrient issue but after the loss continued, I examined him out of the tank and saw this irregular tissue loss with islands of issue separated from the rest.

This looks to me like he’s being snacked on. The emerald crab lives below the duncan.

There are no finish in the tank and I haven’t been feeding the emerald because there’s plenty of GHA (although he doesn’t seem to be eating it).

My question for y’all is whether it (1) looks like something is eating the duncan; (2) looks like receding tissue from underlying problem; or (3) can’t tell from the image / need more information.

I marked this emergency because if the crab is probably eating the duncan, I want the crab out ASAP

E6FD5C8B-455B-45AF-AF44-3125690CE482.png 7A512826-4939-4521-827D-F82BB573D827.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up brown jelly disease. Looks like that to me. Crab picking at it would look more localized to me and they usually don't pick on corals unless coral is already dead or dying or if its starving.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up brown jelly disease. Looks like that to me. Crab picking at it would look more localized to me and they usually don't pick on corals unless coral is already dead or dying or if its starving.

Would BJD be a problem when this is the only coral impacted and I haven’t added any new corals in half a year?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would BJD be a problem when this is the only coral impacted and I haven’t added any new corals in half a year?
Any better pictures? Is the substance jelly like? I know my skin on my duncan is brown

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any better pictures? Is the substance jelly like? I know my skin on my duncan is brown

oh no there’s nothing on the duncan it’s just his skin. The whole stalk used to be that color for months but it’s receding suddenly

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not BJD, maybe set up a camera to observe and catch the little punk

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back