Is this Duncan okay?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a duncan polyp and a kenya tree the other day.

The kenya looks great, the duncan has been mad since I dipped it only extending the first night a little.

This is the end of day 3, and I might not know enough to tell of something is wrong.

It looks bright green in the lights, but when they are off it kind of looks brown. It has a lot of small mouths around the edges of both heads, which I don't think is normal.

Pics, and last 3 days of parameters.

75G Reef
Sunday 12/11 10:41 PM
Temperature: 78 °F
pH: 8.05
Nitrate: 4 ppm
Phosphate: .04 ppm
Salinity: 1.026 SG
Alkalinity: 7 dKH
Calcium: 460 ppm
Magnesium: 1560 ppm

75G Reef
Monday 12/12 10:29 PM
pH: 7.99
Nitrate: 7 ppm
Phosphate: .01 ppm
Alkalinity: 7.5 dKH
Calcium: 450 ppm
Magnesium: 1520 ppm

75G Reef
Tuesday 12/13 11:06 PM
pH: 8.04
Nitrate: 6 ppm
Phosphate: .02 ppm
Alkalinity: 7.5 dKH
Calcium: 450 ppm
Magnesium: 1520 ppm

This is with dosing 1 gallon of rodi with 2 tsp kalkwasser on a drip over 24 hours a day.

I have coraline, but I think my consumption is oddly high, and my mag is also high.

All taken about 20 minutes apart. The polyps extend a little, its not completely closed, but they are stubby, as opposed to the first day.

20221213_225655.jpg 20221213_221047.jpg 20221213_221056.jpg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think it is fine. They are easy corals, but can close up when moved and adjusting to new flow or light. You have pretty spot on parameters, so I wouldn't worry about a Duncan at all.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, i moved him the first time from an unstable rock where when it started extending it almost got blown off, and when i put him on the sand bed he started behaving this way.

I moved him up onto a low rock an hour ago, and moved some of my aqua scape and reduced flow by 5%.

I probably ticked him off.

Thank you for the piece of mind, the lights off pic scares me.

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of flesh so you should be fine. I have my duncans in a low-med flow area which they seem to like and do well. I would bump the alkalinity to 9 if you can. While you are in range - That seems to be the sweet spot.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of flesh so you should be fine. I have my duncans in a low-med flow area which they seem to like and do well. I would bump the alkalinity to 9 if you can. While you are in range - That seems to be the sweet spot.
Yeah I thought it would skyrocket with the kalk, i can't believe its only maintining.

I was at 10 for a while only putting in like 80mls of bicarb every few days. Went 1 week without testing and it was at 6.7

I was shocked when i tested tonight that it remained at 7.5 my consumption must be at 1.26 or so dkh per day now. Going to have to kalk and bicarb dose it looks like.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also having to dose phos and nitrates at about .005 and 1ppm respectively per day. On top of over feeding a pair of clowns and algae blenny and some inverts

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought it would skyrocket with the kalk, i can't believe its only maintining.

I was at 10 for a while only putting in like 80mls of bicarb every few days. Went 1 week without testing and it was at 6.7

I was shocked when i tested tonight that it remained at 7.5 my consumption must be at 1.26 or so dkh per day now. Going to have to kalk and bicarb dose it looks like.
It makes such a difference. The moment I got my Alk and temperature under control and stable (I was having some serious fluctuations and had no idea) everything just started to extend and puff up. My clowns even spawned! LOL

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they could have gotten a bit more light than they were ready for and that combined with being moved around or too much flow, i have mine in about 100 par pretty low light and they grow like weeds and always eat big meat chunks my fish miss

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much knowledge to contribute on here, but I had the same thing happen with a duncan I was given. It was so "ticked off" that it closed up for MONTHS. I thought it was a goner, but left it because it was pretty aquascape. Then one day, it forgave me and POOF! Duncan bloom!

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am noticing that it syarts to open, and then the little block its mounted on that I do not have glued down wobbles, i am 99% sure that's why, it must know.

As a matter of fact, it was open well just fine until it extended all the way that first night I had it, block wobbled and i moved it so that it wouldn't.

Just noticing today it's still wobbly when it starts to come out.

I don't want to keep the block its on, but also don't want to tick it off and scrape it off the block yet.

Any suggestions? Am I dumb for waiting to remove it and glue it down to a rock?

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am noticing that it syarts to open, and then the little block its mounted on that I do not have glued down wobbles, i am 99% sure that's why, it must know.

As a matter of fact, it was open well just fine until it extended all the way that first night I had it, block wobbled and i moved it so that it wouldn't.

Just noticing today it's still wobbly when it starts to come out.

I don't want to keep the block its on, but also don't want to tick it off and scrape it off the block yet.

Any suggestions? Am I dumb for waiting to remove it and glue it down to a rock?
i wud move some sand to around the base to hold it still, i would make sure you have a spot it will be happy in before gluing down

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back