Is this early signs of Cyano or Dyno? Trying to catch early.

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it’s tan-brown in color and just popped up in my new tank. I will manually remove it but wanted to get some tips here.

Thanks

466FEB3D-E552-4206-802D-6266367AD814.jpeg

3A1EFA91-E902-4A24-B96F-B0560271B75F.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat this at all. Don't sweat the next 10 different sets of organisms that briefly rule the barren landscape as the biome develops. Just the nature of the jungle for the first 12-18 months. Aside from general husbandry and basics of salinity, temperature, and eventually nutrients, don't intervene. Just let it do its thing.

OP
OP
therremans

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks I won’t remove it then. I setup the tank only a few weeks ago. That’s when I poured in the sand and used freshly made saltwater (IO salt, RO/DI water)

Also, to hopefully ease the ugly stages and bacteria blooms.. the rock and biomedia was cycled in a tote for about 6 weeks. The water has remained crystal clear and parameters are in check. Phosphates are low and Nitrates are a little higher than I’d like but I assume they will go down in time as the tank matures and I do weekly water changes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling or curing the rock is good for your cycle but won't really change the uglies part. For that, you need (all) real live rock either from the ocean or from "old" reef systems. You are temporarily avoiding the introduction of hitchhikers (good and bad) but not the uglies. It is the conventional approach these days. Just requires a bit more patience.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say no on both. I started my tank upgrade in late April, I believe, and now I am dealing with Dinos, and it doesn't look like that.

Just make sure to keep the N03 above 5 ppm and P04 above 0.05, and maybe higher to promote good algae growth.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back